CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Back after a few years...

Old 11-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #21
Nanci
I don't see why not. The only place that the species is restricted is in the Photo Gallery. So, after you're all done with your introduction, etc., and posting pics here, in the future, you can post pics of anything you want in General Chit Chat.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:59 PM   #22
ratsnakehaven
Thanks, Nanci.

I think I'll tackle my Slowinski corns for my next post. I don't have many pics of these guys, but a few.

This first one is the female I bought from a guy in TX. She was a baby in 2006...

I also have a male from the same guy. The other slowinskii I have is also a male, which I caught as a baby in s.e. OK. All these snakes are from the Ouachita Mountains.

Here's a pic of one of the males....

I consider this form to be a type of corn snake. These snakes seem much more like corns to me than Emory's rats. Some folks, however, think they are Great Plains ratsnakes.

Are Slowinski's corns considered corn snakes by members of this site? Do members ever start threads about Slowinski's corns?

Thanks for any comments...

Old 11-28-2010, 11:24 PM   #23
ratsnakehaven
Ok, time to post something other than a corn snake. I'm going to tackle my Asian ratsnakes now. I'm only working with two species at the moment, but have worked with most of them over time.

Here's a pic of one of my South Korean Dione's ratsnakes, Elaphe dione, eating a quail's egg....

Dione's ratsnakes are pretty cold hardy, but are very easy to maintain, don't get very big, and are easy to reproduce.

My other Asian and one of my all time favorites is the Chinese twin-spotted ratsnake, Elaphe bimaculata. They are supposedly a subtropical snake and one of the smallest of all the ratsnakes.

Here's a baby I produced a few years ago....

Bimacs are pretty hardy and I usually brumate them for about three months, even though they can go w/o brumation. They are easily kept in smallish tanks.

Here's one of my original bimacs from the 90's. We called her the "blonde" phase bimac, and her name was Blondie...

My current oldest male is one of her prodigy.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:51 PM   #24
ratsnakehaven
Here's a couple other Asian species that I've kept.

One is the Chinese red-headed ratsnake, Orthriophis moellendorffi, or Moellendorff's ratsnake...

These snakes are the most like corn snakes of any of the Asians in some ways, but way different in other ways. Look at the color/pattern. They spend most of their time underground and are crepuscular. They brumate for about four months usually. One big drawback is that they get huge.

The second is the Mandarin ratsnake, Euprepiophis mandarinus...

This particular snake is from Sichuan Province stock. These guys don't get too big and are quite hardy. They have great color/pattern combinations. A very interesting snake and not too hard to care for. One drawback is that they are mostly nocturnal. They are also very expensive. I may get back into this species in the future.

I've greatly reduced my collection since moving to AZ in order to make room for more N. A. species and to start my collection in the direction of working with the best "pet" snakes...

Old 11-29-2010, 05:25 AM   #25
Nanci
Wow, really cool!! I love the C Red-headed!!

Old 11-29-2010, 09:11 AM   #26
Ares2010
Hello, nice to meet you. I am new here.

Beautiful snakes you have. They look very healthy and content.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:27 AM   #27
chris68
Welcome back TC :*)...Great photo's bud, and I love those Boot Key corns. Hope you keep us updated next year with lots of pics

Old 11-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #28
ratsnakehaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Wow, really cool!! I love the C Red-headed!!

Thanks, Nanci. Here's a yearling of that species...

I loved working with this species, but they just got too darn big...ughhh!

I also worked with beauty snakes for quite awhile. Here's a Chinese beauty snake, calico morph...

This is another large species from southern China. The normal form is greenish. They got too big also and I just didn't have room for the large terrariums they needed. But a good friend of mine is continuing the line.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #29
ratsnakehaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares2010 View Post
Hello, nice to meet you. I am new here.

Beautiful snakes you have. They look very healthy and content.

Thank you!

One of the things I pride myself on is being able to create the right conditions for a species to be able to thrive in a captive environment. I love learning about new species and their natural history; but that's another story...

Old 11-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #30
ratsnakehaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris68 View Post
Welcome back TC :*)...Great photo's bud, and I love those Boot Key corns. Hope you keep us updated next year with lots of pics

Thanks, dude!

I plan to work closely with the Boot Key corns. I should have lots of pics next season, as they progress from being hotties to being chunkies to clutches, incubation, babies, etc. It should be fun.

PS: My back porch herp room starts to warm up in March. By April we're getting nice daytime temps in the 80's. I'm sure they'll be ready to leave the confines of my inhouse Herp Room sometime in March.

(aka: Terry)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google