• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Baby Green Snake... Any Help Appreciated

fiscsnaca

aka Alethea =)
Today I found this little baby trying to climb my storm door, of course my little boy wants to keep it... so I'm trying to verify what it is and how I should take care of it. I believe it is a Rough Green Snake (I live in South Carolina about 5 miles away from the border with North Carolina) so we fixed it up in my corn's old feeding box with some tree branches until payday when I can set it up a good home, and put some tiny crickets in for it to eat. Other than the insects instead of mice I am assuming we should set it up the same as our corn snake but wanted to check in and see if anyone had any information/opinions they could share.

- Thanks, Alethea and Hunter

GreenBaby02.jpg

GreenBaby04.jpg

GreenBaby06.jpg

These guys are going to want a good deal more vertical climbing space I would guess. If you haven't got the right tank, you can set one up the long way and maybe put a small ficus tree in there for him to climb in. I'd say your ID is spot on, though I don't know much about the differences between the smooth and rough green snake.. You also might want to use a small heat lamp instead of a UTH, since he'll probably rather be able to bask in his branches than lay on the floor..
He's pretty!

thanks Tom, this is what we have for our corn Alexi
AlexiHome3.jpg

she must not know she's a corn because she spends most of her time climbing, basking, and hiding in her trees =) hopefully a smaller version of this will work for our new little Greenie, all I can afford to set up for now (which should work since he's only about 3-4 inches long) is a 5 or maybe 10 gallon tank.
-Alethea and Hunter

NICE!
I'm pretty sure he'd love something like that.
My corns are jealous too.

Is it really cold where you are though? I'm not sure the lamp is necesary with the corn, though you know better than me what your temps are in the viv. I'd be concerned that with the lamp in the middle that you are heating all the space like that.

What's the average temp in your house?

I keep it about 65-67 f in my house. I check her thermometers every time I walk past (which is about 10 times a day since I'm always chasing after my 4 year old son) the temp on her warm side is 80 and the temp on her cold side is 70. I replaced the bulb with a fluorescent once just to try to save on the energy... she went down to her warm cave and wouldn't come out for 3 days then when I tried to get her out she'd run from me, so I put the 60 watt Zoo Med Daylight Blue Reptile Bulb back in and within an hour she went back up to her normal spot in the trees. The light automatically turns on at 7am and off at 7pm. Starting about 6pm she starts climbing around and peeking out at us to see what's going on in the rest of the world and seems happy to see us when we go over to get her out to play with her.

Update on the little green guy, sadly we had to let him go back into the woods behind the house because it wouldn't eat for 3 days. Since it's just a hatchling, according to another site I found about breeding and raising them in captivity, it needs to eat every day ideally and no less than every other day. I didn't want to be responsible for starving the little guy to death so I'm hoping he'll do better for himself out there where he came from.

Thanks again,
Alethea and Hunter

Glad you let him go since he wasn't eating. Maybe if you find a larger one sometime it'll work out better. They must be there, after all . . .

I recommend picking up this book.
Green Snakes (Herpetology Series) (Paperback)
by W. P. Mara (Author)
You can get it at amazon for about $10.

Green snakes are pretty cool...but you are right. They do like to eat often. I found crickets worked well. I even hatched some of the little guys out...Talk about tiny! I did, howver, do as you did and let them go as they are a handful and not a once or twice a week animal like the corns.

I've been kicking around the idea of adding one to my 30" x 12" x 18" treefrog viv. It's got cuban treefrogs in it, and a house gecko. A coroworker is going to take my two largest frogs, leaving me with the three small ones and some space to fill up.

Would the green snake hurt my frogs or gecko? I feed them crickets anyway... seems like a good fit?

Well, you were right =) last Saturday an adult Rough Green Snake was just hanging out on our front porch and let my son go over to pick it up. I ordered the book suggested too, it's on the way along with the stuff for his (no clue yet what sex it is but Hunter insists it's a boy) viv... so here's Grassy, our newest family member.

Grassy01.jpg

Grassy02.jpg

Grassy03.jpg

Grassy04.jpg

Grassy05.jpg

Shy but very friendly

yeah he's very friendly =) he's still getting use to being held but other than that he's been great. When my son spotted him he actually didn't freak out having a four year old come running at him and scoop him up. After we take him out he stiffens his body and then tries to get away for about 5 mins. After that he settles down and curls himself around our arms, and just enjoys the ride around the house or if we sit on the couch with him he likes to curl up under the pillows (but so does our corn). Only problem I've had so far is that his color makes it really hard to find him in his viv without taking all the leaves out first =)

:bang: Looks like Hunter's website crashed on Friday night and I didn't have all the files not related to the site backed up so here's the pics from my previous post here again...

Grassy01.jpg

Grassy02.jpg

Grassy03.jpg

Grassy04.jpg

Grassy05.jpg

Back