CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

health concern

Old 10-28-2007, 09:53 PM   #1
daufoi
health concern

I tried posting this in the health care forums but do not seem to be getting any replies. Maybe someone here can help me.

I have had a corn for about 2 years and it has reached about 4ft now. Recently, I noticed a "bump" on the side near the tail and I am hoping someone can tell me what it is. I have attached a picture below.

Is it constipation? My snake doesn't seem to have bowel movements as often as before. I thought this might be because it is doing so under all the aspen bedding so I couldn't see it. Also, my snake is looking a little rounded. In the past, the sides would come straight down. Maybe another sign of constipation, or maybe obesity? I thought this might be due to growth but I have also been feeding my snake a lot (2-3 large - 30-40g - mice per week).

Otherwise, could it be a tumor or abcess?

Thanks for the input.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:19 PM   #2
Cat_Eyed_Lady
well, I did see the other post but I thought maybe someone else would answer you better than I could

What it looks like to me is fatty deposits. Down there is where we usually see them starting. I dont mean to sound harsh so please dont take it that way, ok?? but you are feeding your snake way too much food. A snake that size should be getting only 1 adult mouse every 7 days... not 3-4.. they may eat that much but as you can see... its not healthy I would put him/her on a diet of just 1 adult mouse each week and the days you can handle him/her (past the 2-3 days after feeding) have him/her out each day and do abit of hand to hand work outs... but it will take a longgggg time for the deposits to go down and I am not sure they will ever really go totally away.

I hope that was of some help

Old 10-28-2007, 10:43 PM   #3
Jrgh17
Yup, it's fat. You know how women get big hips when we eat too much? Snakes have the same problem.

I would completely agree that you're feeding too much. Do you know for sure if your corn male or female? If it's a boy, I would say that feeding every 7-14 days would be best. Personally, I'd lean between every 12-14 days. If it's a girl, but you have NO PLANS of breeding her this upcoming season, go ahead and go with 10 days.

Do you have a scale? It would be best if you monitored your snakes weight. If you don't have a scale, your best bet it to get one, or to make sure you're CAREFULLY looking for signs of emancipation. Remember that while anyone (snake or human) is dropping weight, water is extremely important - so make sure there is always fresh water.

Best of luck, and give us an update when you see results

Old 10-28-2007, 11:29 PM   #4
MO, CORNFED
I agree with feeding to much, usually it's one every 7 to 10 days

Old 10-28-2007, 11:34 PM   #5
Sanebedlam
Defiantly cut back on the feeding and get her out for workouts all the time (just holding her tends to help quite a bit as she will slither around in your hands.)

Old 10-28-2007, 11:40 PM   #6
susang
I agree too much food, probably fatty deposits and what looks like hips, which snakes don't want. A picture of the lower half would help from dorsal or ventral side.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:27 PM   #7
ilovecorns1
shes a fatty so just fresh water and holdin her alot and time will do the trick like all above said

Old 10-29-2007, 02:52 PM   #8
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrgh17 View Post

make sure you're CAREFULLY looking for signs of emancipation.
Sorry, the rest of the post was fine but I almost lost bladder control when I imagined naughty snakes trying to free themselves!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:38 PM   #9
Jrgh17
Wow... I didn't even realize that.

Although, I fully support each and every snake owner carefully looking for signs of emancipation. We can't let them learn to read - they might ban together!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google