• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New owner, new to snakes

well. I've cleaned the tank and put down aspen. I can see the appeal for it, but I miss the soil oddly enough. I liked the look of it, but I don't miss the smell of damp dirt around. And cleaning it like that once only is enough for me, it was everywhere.

Her second feeding went really well. she actually attacked the pinky this time. She had struck and coiled before I even had time to loose my grip from the tweezers. My little girl is such a predator *swoon*. haha. Here's the new set up, large rock is half over the heating pad.
album.php

album.php

well. just put it into the tank, first thing she did once she came out, was dig right into down into the warm corner.

As a side note that I forgot to add to my previous post about adding the aspen, it seems rough enough that would be scratchy, but I guess where so many of you recommend it, then it can't be a problem right?

Again, I say that snakes can climb up the sides of tanks with relative ease when they want to.

I have lost a young snake from a 2 foot tall container with a lid on it. I never found her.

We lost a tiny snake from a tank with a locking lid that was wrapped in wrapping paper. It was a Christmas gift for my mom. Sure was anti-climatic when she opened her present and it was empty. Never did find that little snake. :(

well. just put it into the tank, first thing she did once she came out, was dig right into down into the warm corner.

As a side note that I forgot to add to my previous post about adding the aspen, it seems rough enough that would be scratchy, but I guess where so many of you recommend it, then it can't be a problem right?

I know what you mean. I like the look of darker stuff too.

The aspen doesn't scratch... their scales are tougher than I woulda thought!

Can anyone give me an approximate age for my corn. She's around 10 grams and 16 inches long. I wasn't given any information by the pet store about her age so I'm rather curious.

In corns, size doesn't equal age.

I can tell you that your snake is most likely less than 2 years old unless she was not eating for a long, long time.

By 3 years, they usually hit adult-size and don't grow a WHOLE lot more, even though they continue to grow in tiny amounts their whole lives.

Hatchlings can be born at about 10 grams. Or, hatchlings can be 5 grams and stay tiny tiny for months and months.

Popping should only be done as hatchlings. It is dangerous to try when they get bigger. I agree that's a Miami.

How can you tell that is a Miami? I was told mine is a Carolina (Normal) and it looks exactly the same to me.

I saw a tip on another thread about using a bag of rice in the viv to lower humidity. I haven't tried that, but I thought I'd let you know.
(I'd put the rice in a stocking, tie the end)

I wouldn't leave the top off the tank. Just because you think it is impossible.... I have had many babies who can PUSH the top off a tall container and escape. Even if I thought they were way too short.

I have watched mine balance on the last inch and a half of his tail and nothing else, standing straight up trying to get out (though he was bracing against the glass too). I have seen him use that same portion when on the vines, with the rest of his body in mid air.

They are stronger than they look, and they weigh less than they look.

How can you tell that is a Miami? I was told mine is a Carolina (Normal) and it looks exactly the same to me.

Technically, a Miami is a Normal (So your snake could be BOTH)
Miami means that the background is grey/silver colored, rather than orange.
Of course, snakes usually run on a continuum, so there are great Miamis that are really, really silver then there are Miamis that are mostly silver. Line-breeding improves coloration of the background to make a snake look more or less a certain type of normal.

Miami means that the background is grey/silver colored, rather than orange.

Ah, ok. The one in that picture looks orange to me, and is exactly the same color as mine...so does the color change grayer as it ages? I know hatchlings dont always look like adults as far as coloration.

Strangles%20-%20April%205%202011%20-%201.png

Strangles%20-%20April%2012%202011%20-%201.png

Strangles%20-%20April%205%202011%20-%202.png

He is more orang-ish around the head, but what do you think? Does that look orange to you?

Frankly, I think I like the Miami coloration better so it would be a good thing. But I was told this is Carolina coloration.

Miamis ideally shouldn't have any orange between the saddles. Carolina corns are silver as babies but get more orange with each shed. That looks like a normal/classic/Carolina if it's a hatchling. I can't really tell.

Bryan,
Once the snake hits 3 feet/ 300 grams, I'd just say that they are 3 years and go by that.

From Post #29:

I have watched mine balance on the last inch and a half of his tail and nothing else, standing straight up trying to get out (though he was bracing against the glass too). I have seen him use that same portion when on the vines, with the rest of his body in mid air.

They are stronger than they look, and they weigh less than they look.

Just in case anyone doesnt believe me...I snapped this last night:

Strangles%20-%20April%2015%202011%20-%201.png

He climbed up the glass from the bottom into that position. I have a 15 gallon-high tank, and it is almost as tall as he is long. He actually balanced on even less than that before he finally fell after this picture.

Whenever I see my snake try and climb like that I worry she'll break a rib when she falls. I've heard the occasional thud at night and it always makes me worry a little. Beautiful snake by the way.

Back