• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Munson plan Sucess stories.

Corny Noob

Proud Momma
I just thought I'd boost Dean's ego and give us a place to all share what awesome weight gains our snake's have made using Dean's helpful knowledge :)

September 06 Snake

May 5th- 24g
September 26th- 101g

This also seemed like it would offer some solace for new owners who realized they had really small snakies after purchase.
They grow out of it ;)

Heheh, nice thread. My girl's on the Munson plan now, 76 grams and switching to hoppers every 6 days this week. (As opposed to every 5 days.) Haven't had her long enough to record anything, though. ;) So far though- Started at 70, now is at 76 3 weeks and one shed later.

Just to make sure the other side has a voice before this gets too far along, the goal is not to see who can grow their snake the fastest. There really shouldn't be a rush to get your snake big as quick as possible. I really think people need to stop being so concerned with the size and weight comparisons. It makes newbies think it's a sign of good husbandry to have your snakes grow as fast as possible, which may actually be detrimental in the long run. There are many who believe fast growth rates shorten overall life spans. Just feed your snakes appropriate sized meals (1 1/2 times widest part of body) at appropriate intervals and let them grow at whatever rate their body grows. It's not a race. There's a reason the accepted standard breeding size and age are 3 years/300 grams, not 2 years/300 grams.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Duff again."

In the words of David Letterman...."this is an exhibition, not a competition".

regards,
jazz

Well Duff I'm sorry that you feel this is a topic showing off who can fatten up and animal faster. But it's not :shrugs:
And the munson plan is appropriate sized meals at appropriate intervals so I don't see what the issue is here...

Corny Noob said:
Well Duff I'm sorry that you feel this is a topic showing off who can fatten up and animal faster.
Not that I speak for him, but I think that's why he qualified it with "before this gets too far along".

regards,
jazz

Nobody is advocating powerfeeding or overfeeding. That's kind of the point of having it all spelled out like has been done with the "Munson" plan.

If you feel that following that plan is powerfeeding or overfeeding, why not say it outright?

May 2006 Hatchling

Received in late February 2007 – 24 grams

Now she's 68 grams…though I switched scales about 1 month ago and I think it might be a little flaky.

I have been following the Munson plan to the letter…I feel like a failure...:cry:

Regards,
Steve

Duff said:
Just to make sure the other side has a voice before this gets too far along, the goal is not to see who can grow their snake the fastest. There really shouldn't be a rush to get your snake big as quick as possible. I really think people need to stop being so concerned with the size and weight comparisons. It makes newbies think it's a sign of good husbandry to have your snakes grow as fast as possible, which may actually be detrimental in the long run. There are many who believe fast growth rates shorten overall life spans. Just feed your snakes appropriate sized meals (1 1/2 times widest part of body) at appropriate intervals and let them grow at whatever rate their body grows. It's not a race. There's a reason the accepted standard breeding size and age are 3 years/300 grams, not 2 years/300 grams.
Yep, I agree. And I WAS able to rep you. :)

I'm glad people like The Plan, but I think that its value lies mainly in the fact that it provides a structured feeding regimen. It was never intended to be the "Munson Get-Them-To-Breeding-Weight-In-12-Months Plan".

ssmith_1187 said:
May 2006 Hatchling

Received in late February 2007 – 24 grams

Now she's 68 grams…though I switched scales about 1 month ago and I think it might be a little flaky.

I have been following the Munson plan to the letter…I feel like a failure...:cry:

The way I see the Munson Plan - or really, any diet that specifies an amount of food to give an animal - is a way to ensure that your snake gets adequate nutrition. It's not going to make a slow growing snake into a quick growing one. It's not going to stunt a small snake, it's not going to make your naturally large corn into a retic. It just means that, at whatever size and weight your snake happens to be, the mouse it's getting is an appropriate size for it.

I don't follow the Munson plan exactly for my snakes, but I have my own similar chart of which size snake is getting what to eat. When given exactly the same fairly conservative feeding plan, I have same-age snakes where one weighs double the other. That's just how it is .. but I know that they're all getting sufficient nutrition, and that's good enough for me :)

Corny Noob said:
Well Duff I'm sorry that you feel this is a topic showing off who can fatten up and animal faster. But it's not :shrugs:
And the munson plan is appropriate sized meals at appropriate intervals so I don't see what the issue is here...
No, I don't think that, but there are those out there that are very much into how big their snake is and how long it takes to get it there. Just wanted to have something on here pointing out this shouldn't be a race or who's youngun is growing quicker. That's all.

Flagg said:
If you feel that following that plan is powerfeeding or overfeeding, why not say it outright?
Because if I did feel that way, I would've said that. Believe me, I don't hold back what I really mean, as some on here know from a ways back :rolleyes:

Last edited:
that's good enough for me

Toyah,

I would agree. I have no plans to breed her, so I'm not too worried.

She seems healthy, active and has given me 5 great sheds so far...so that's good enough for me :)

Regards,
Steve

kev1144 said:
I'm just glad this debate killed the thread thus killing Dean's ego trip
I don't know about that. I still think I'm the best thing to happen to the hobby since shredded aspen. :grin01:

What is this plan anyway? I've aways gone by if you can't see the bump after 48 hours bump them up. Rub the cream and the clear on them, and boom they're in the record books...is this not what we're talking about here?

That was only half serious statement, I don't wait until the bump is gone

:rolleyes:

Back