• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

True or false question concerning red light bulbs

habistatman

Its very important with most snakes to have a day/night cycle. I read that if you use red light bulbs if you wished you could leave these on all the time. apparantly the light emmited would have any harmful effects on the snake. Is this just wishful thinking as the guy cannot bring himself to buy a ceramic or does it have foundation.

Kindest regards

Habistatman

I've heard that many reptiles cannot see the infrared lights so it's okay to leave them on. My leopard geckos didn't seem to care about the red light being on 24/7, however both my beardies hate the light.

I haven't tried any on the snakes, I used a ceramic heat emitter on them last winter...

I don't use any artificial light on my snakes. They are in a room that has large enough windows (yet isn't small enough to create a green house effect), that the are exposed to mostly a natural sun light cycle.

I have a red bulb on at all times for my two Tarantulas. They are in a bookshelf next to my corn's racks. The light isn't really strong enough to reach the Corns, and I don't think it affects them much.

That said I will say again that a red light is not necessary for a corn snake. No, I don't think a red light is harmful for a snake, but it really isn't needed either. They should be fine with the natural light and the artificial light in your house. As long as they have a temperature gradient (which should be provided by a UTH not a light), they will be fine.

I have a regular heat bulb on a clip on ceramic based light that just sits on top of the cage (of course with safety precautions to make sure that Eve doesnt get on it and get hurt), and she doesnt care either way.
Her hides provide her enough darkness i think that she just goes in there when shes ready to sleep.
Shes been fine so far... >_> <_<

I think that it is probably more important that the snake has completely dark places to hide.
I don't know if there have been any conclusive studies on whether corns see red light or not.

I have concluded that my corn can see red light.
I have red LEDs in the top of my snake's viv to light it at night if I want to. If I turn on the LEDs at night when the room is dark my snake can still see me and reacts to my hand moving on the outside of the very thick glass on the front of the viv. The only light in the room at the time is from the red LEDs.

I have concluded that my corn can see red light.
I have red LEDs in the top of my snake's viv to light it at night if I want to. If I turn on the LEDs at night when the room is dark my snake can still see me and reacts to my hand moving on the outside of the very thick glass on the front of the viv. The only light in the room at the time is from the red LEDs.

I agree that they can see the red light or know it's there.

Before I got the nightglo light I did have a red light. As soon as I would turn it on my corn would go hide and never come back out. Plus it annoyed the heck out of me too since it was right beside my bed. I took the light off, got a heat mat and only use the nightglo light in the winter for a little bit more warmth as my room gets pretty cold.

I use red fluorescent bulbs on mine, I have it on a timer, when it gets dark in the room to about midnight....purely for my viewing of them. doesn't bother them at all. I use no other lights, besides normal sunlight coming in.

Back