• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

new corn won't leave corn

Chill92

I bought my corn 2 days ago and he has not left his hide. He is young and not used to being handled, pretty flighty. I've been trying to leave him alone for a few days, is this normal? His setup that he came with is pretty dirty so I wanted to take him out and clean his tank,hides,etc. and put down some fresh aspen. Will it freak him out if I take him out?

I would definitely get him out of there to clean. But yes, it's typical behavior for a baby corn to hide most of the time. He may be coming out in the evening and you just haven't seen him.

Well when we came home from dinner he was put of his hide hanging around by the top of the tank. It was nice to see him out. Good thing we keep the screen top taped down.

Snakes are notorious escape artist. Tape won't be enough eventually. Be careful!

I'm glad your little guy is out and about, and getting more used to his environment.

Michael is absolutely correct! I still (unfortunately) have two aquariums in use. I use Velcro strips wrapped completely around the tank to secure the screen top. Cheap, super easy, and very effective!

Kathy

How many of you have experienced escapes with the clip lock lids like this? Just curious. The other day I got home to find Cruella had climbed her plant and got inbetween the lid and the molding edge and was circling the top. She's only three months and I did a check to make sure there was no weak area, I doubt she could get out but now you all have me worried lol.

Should I get some of the velcro strips then? Where do you all pick up strips that large?

Sorry for the hijack, just figured a good thread to ask in.

Also, chill my snake tends to hide under her log quite a bit. Almost every time I go to get her during the day for a holding session she is either under there or under her rock.

She is more active around 6 or 7pm through the evening hours. So I guess it seems most of us have similar experiences with this. Cruella is roughly 13 weeks old.

With a small snake I just don't trust the screen tops even with clips. All they have to do is get a nose/ head under the edge and they are out. A larger snake I don't worry about, just those tiny babies.

Hvani, at what age would you say it isn't a worry anymore? Or at what size for that matter since weight and length vary so much depending on age.

Mine is currently around 13 weeks or so old. Don't have anything to weigh her, but I'd say that she is probably at least 13 - 14" long. But, that's a guesstimate.

Should I get some of the velcro strips then? Where do you all pick up strips that large?

I buy the 3' pre-cut strips at Joann Fabrics, or Michael's. I don't know what stores are in your area, but any fabric or craft store will have it. I think I paid $1.99 per package. (two packs per cage).

I don't trust those clips or tape either. Snakes are surprisingly strong, and very persistent to find any way to slip under the edge of the screen top. Velcro holds very well for this purpose.

Kathy

P.S. Get the "sew-on" type, not the sticky-back kind.

I dunno my guy is a year old and over 2 feet long yet I still don't trust him in a tank that doesn't not have a sliding lid. I want to eventually put him in an exoterra tank but he needs to get bigger first.

What's wrong with smaller snakes and the exoterra? Similar escape possibilities? I initially looked into one of those.

Will pick up some strips at my super walmart on the way home. They have a huge sewing/crafting area.

Well I didn't want my snake to be able to get behind the background, I also worried about the front doors.

Ahhhh gotcha. Noted. I don't think you're the first to mention that here. They look cool though for later on as you said. I think when I go 20 gallon next year or year after, whenever she outgrows the 10 or I wanna give her more room, I may go Exoterra.

We found some straps at tractor supply that work great. He's doing alot better than expected with handling, for a snake that's not used to being handled. Also he's a little bigger than I was lead to believe 23 inches. So I'd say he's at least a year old.

I just wanted to thank everyone here for the suggestion about the Velcro strips. After reading this thread, I bought some Velcro One-Wrap from Amazon. I cut 2 strips for each of our 3 tanks that are big enough to go around fully.

That very night, our biggest corn (Tyrion - Anery, 71g) decided to climb around the top edge of the screen cover. If that Velcro hadn't been there, I'm certain he would have escaped. It was well worth the investment :)

wow, I really like this idea!
I use the clips too and I worry all the time about losing my babies! Sirius isn't a huge escape artist and my milks quite happy on the floors on his tank but the added sucurity would be nice..
I'm going to invest in some of these this weekend!

thanks again, for the great idea!

Back