• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How Are "Reptariums" For Snakes?

CaseyUndead

I wasn't quite sure which category to put this in, so i put it here. But, anyway, i was looking on ebay to see if they had any 30gal+ tanks, and at what prices(because eventually i'm going to have to move my baby out of his 10gal when he grows up some more). And i came across these "Reptarium" things.

http://cgi.ebay.com/38-Gallon-Apoge...oryZ1285QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The descriptions say that they're really good for most lizards and snakes, and they seem like they'd be a whole lot easier to clean and all than a big tank would be. I just don't know how strong that mesh is and would hold up to a snake pushing against it trying to escape.. And i haven't really seen any snakes in those before(i always see people using the glass tanks). So, yeah. I figured that the wise people here might know whether or not that kind of enclosure would be suitable for snakes or not.

Hmm I've never seen anything like it... it sounds nice. I don't know. It doesn't say what the bottom is made out of. And I could imagine all kinds of substrate and such being pushed out the sides - not to mention it wouldn't hold heat in very well because of the open-ness. But maybe its worth it. It certainly is a great price!

The other day I saw a man wanting one for his Ball python and I steered him away. These cages do not allow the humidity like a glass cage. Plus I feel they are not escape proof for a crafty snake. Seriously, look for a 20 gallon critter cage, if you have the right connections with a LFS or Petshop they could order you one for cost around $30. One of the shops I frequent does this for me.

I have a few of these Reptarium for my lizards and I love them. So if you want to have a Chameleon, anoles, or some other climbing lizard this is your cage. But I would pass on it for any snakes.

CaseyUndead said:
Hmm.. Well, would covering up some of the sides with something solve that problem?
Not if you have a snake that like rubbing its nose. I would just pass it up in the long run. There is cheaper and better snake caging. Like I said, it doesn't seem very snake proof to me, I own a few and know how its put together.

I have one those it was used for an iguana, not very parctical for a snake, as mentioned above humidity and heat retention would be a problem. I don't think any kind of cover owuld work. JMHO, susan

I have used the 65 gal. size for 5 Amazon tree boas (in 5 Reptariums, except during breeding season when I keep 1.1 and 1.2 in two cages) for a couple of years, and I love them. But Amazons don't push to get out like rat snakes do. I would put some kind of clip on the 2 sets of zippers if I wanted to put corns or rats in them.

Here in SW Florida, the temps and humidity are generally pretty high most of the year, so I keep them outside in the screen pool area. In winter, the extra heat needed plus the lack of high humidity can cause problems.

So my suggestion is to use Reptariums for corns only if you carefully secure the zippers, and only during the summer, outside in safe (screened) shaded areas with good ventilation and lots of humidity. Summer in the Carolinas should be fine, but use something else inside the house during the rest of the year. All things considered, a different kind of cage would probably be better for corns.

I've actually kept varying kinds of snakes (boas, ball pythons, kings and corns) in Reptariums without problems. I know cohabitation is looked down on and I don't usually do it but I did keep a trio of ball pythons in a 260 gallon before without any problems. It is possible to keep just about any kind of snake in one of the Reptariums - you just have to have a bigger water bowl or whatnot. Let me know if you want more info just let me know!

~Katie

I've thought about using these before, and I know some people have and love them. My concern is cat claws. For those that have used them, do they seem strong enough to survive some good, strong clawing (as would inevitably happen when the cats see a snake/lizard moving around)?

My question is for Katie (PtDnsr) and Kathylove.

I have a corn snake, about 1.5 yo., over 3 feet long. (I have it from Kathylove)
Until now I had it in terrarium 30x12x12 with 1 UV and 1 heat lamp from above.
After last shed I decided the terrarium is too small. I went to the store and I stumbled into the Reptarium. I bought the 65gal + SofTray and I am testing it now , but I am not sure. Isn't it too dark there? Isn't it to high for the lamps. Does the cornsnake like to climb vertically so much?
I should add that I live in Maryland and soon I will move to New York or Ontario - so my snake will always indoor.
What solution will you recommend for me? I kind of hate the heavy terrariums (especially now when I will be on the move) and I liked the Reptarium because of its mobility but if it is incompatible with indoor as Kathylove suggested I will return it and by a 50+ gallon tank.

Thanks,
Stefan

I see I already posted on this thread earlier - had forgotten about that. I had written up the following for an email in response to Stefan's email to me, but realize some of it was said in the earlier post. I decided to post it here instead of sending an email. Sorry for any repetition, but it will help reinforce my own experience.

I use Reptariums for my Amazon tree boas during the Florida summer, outside on my lanai. They work great, and I can put lots of branches and live plants in them. But the main differences are: Florida summers are hot and humid – no need for extra heat or humidity. And ATBs (and most arboreal snakes) do not try very hard to escape. I would consider putting corns in them, outside in Florida. But I would be concerned that the corns would push the zippers apart and escape, so I would have to wire the zippers together in some way. And if the Reptarium got a small tear in it, as some do after a while, the corns are much more likely to find it than tree boas would. If you are in a climate that needs extra heat and humidity, that would be harder to provide in a Reptarium.

If you want to use it with corns in a northern climate, I would cover much of the cage with a clear plastic covering, so you can keep in the warmth and humidity. Maybe leave the front and part of the top uncovered. Use a light on the top, with a big branch or shelf several inches under the light. Also use a UTH on one side of the bottom, and put a hide there. Be sure to check temps a lot (at first) in various parts of the cage. Buy a big pothos plant from Wal Mart or some nursery and put it fairly near the light. Watering and misting it will add humidity to the cage and give the snake hiding places. The plant may only last a couple of months before looking ragged, so have a replacement while you put the ragged one outside (in good weather) or at least in a sunny window to recover.

I don’t know whether it will work or not, and can't really tell you to use or not use it. I can only say I have had no problems with tree boas in it during the Florida spring, summer, and fall (I also use the 65 gal. size for each of the 5 boas). It depends a lot on your circumstances, and how well you monitor conditions, and how well you respond to any problems encountered. If you do make it work, your snake will probably get a bigger and more airy cage – but that can be a plus or minus, depending on what you do with it. If you are monitoring carefully, and see that it is not working properly for you, you can always change to a different kind of cage. Just be really careful about escapes. Try to keep it in an escape proof room if possible.

Raptariums-what you NEED to know

Reptariums - what you need to know by reptilesupply.com

In this short article we hope to answer most questions about these great cages.

Q. Can I use a Reptarium for my Boa/Python/other large snake.

A: Generally speaking, no. They are made of a material that if stretched enough could tear. Not to mention your snake may rub his nose constantly on the mesh looking for a way out. These cages can cause nose rub on a determined snake. Although Reptariums are big enough to house most snakes, it is not recommended that large snakes (or snakes with the tendancy to "nose rub" be kept in these cages).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. Can I put a clamp lamp right on top of the Reptarium?

A: Usually this answer is yes. You would not want to use a bulb that sticks out of the clamp lamp (dome fixture) far enough to actually touch the Reptarium screen. Even though the screens can withstand a lot of heat DO NOT let your bulb rest on or come in contact with the screen itself.

** There is more information regarding this from the manufacturer and can be found on the "instructions" tab of any Reptarium product page on our site.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. Do I need a SofTray?

A: No, but maybe (and you will probably want one).
There are a few things to consider when using a reptarium. Will it be the only cage for an animal? Will it only be used as a temporary cage to provide "outside" time to get natural sunlight? Are you housing an animal that likes to dig? Are you housing an animal that creates a lot of waste?

If you answered yes to more than one of these you might want to consider the benefits of a Softray.

If you are just using the cage to provide a means for your animal to receive time in the sun, you can probably get away without using one. But, if this will be a full time cage (and they do make a great cage for a lot of animals), then a Softray is probably in your (and your animals) future.

They provide several benefits, the biggest being a container for whatever substrate you will use. With a Softray you can use sand, mulch, bark or just about anything else.

Q. How do I open a Reptarium?

A: They are zippered on one or more sides. You can easily open them as much, or as little as you'd like.

Q. What is a Reptarium Cage made of?

A: It is a strong BLACK mesh material. The frame is made of black PVC type plastic. (no this is not the same PVC you can buy at your local hardware store).

Q. Do I have to assemble it?

A: Yes you do, but it is very easy. No tools required! Simply assemble the PVC frame, and place the softray (you did buy one, right?) over it, and then the screen/mesh cover over the entire frame. Zip it up and it's done!

Q. What animals can I house in a Reptarium?

A: We will try to provide a list of the most popular animals that we feel can be safely kept in a reptarium.

Tree Frogs, Chameleons, Anoles, Most climbing geckos, Bearded Dragons, Water Dragons, Green Iguanas (adults are probably too big), smaller snakes. There are of course many more.

Q. What animals should I not keep in a Reptarium?

A: Large boas and pythons, large monitor lizards, large iguanas and any other large reptile that posseses the strength or the claws to rip or tear the screen.

Back