• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sexing Your Baby Snake Using the Candling Method.

CornCrazy

What's one more???
I have seen lots of people ask if we can help identify the gender of their baby corns. Popping and probing are methods that should only be done after being taught by someone with experience. You can, in many cases, candle your snake and be able to determine its gender. This works best with morphs that are light colored (snows, amel, etc.), however, once you are experienced and know what you are looking for, it is possible to use this method on SOME of the darker morphs.

When you candle your hatchling, you will hold a flashlight or other bright light behind its tail just a little bit below the vent. If it is a female, the tail will be a uniform color. You may see some blood vessels, but that should be it. If it is a male, you will actually be able to see the hemipenes. It will appear as a reddish spot in the tail (obviously different from a blood vessel). I tried to take some pictures. They did not turn out great, but hopefully you will be able to see what I am talking about.

Here is a picture of a female:
FemaleCandle.jpg

And here is a male:
MaleCandle.jpg

I will try to get better pictures later today. It was hard trying to hold the little ones over the light while taking the pics! I'll have to get someone to help me!

Thanks for the trick Terri! It seems to be an excellent way to know their sex without harming the snake when the person have no experience in popping or probing. Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to see better pics. :)

LOL DAND :D !! I was thinking the same thing earlier this week...when I was talking to Terri about candling her eggs... :rofl:

We wouldn't want someone to sue Terri because they cooked their snake with a candle. :flames:

Of course that method would "solve" the gender question. :)

"I have a 0.0.0.1: no longer necessary to identify."

great idea but the only problem is that they both look excactly the same! and i cant tell the diff from the male or the female :shrugs:

On the 2nd picture, look about a half an inch from the vent. You will see a reddish area. That's the hemipenes. You can't see it in the top pic. As I said earlier, I hope to get better pictures later.

If you have a young "known" male and female, try it with them. You'll be able to tell the difference.

Back