• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

First Shed and I'm Nervous

luvr

We got our baby corn late November and it's eyes were blue the last few days and it's skin is dulling. How long should it tell before he sheds? This is a first for me so I'm nervous but I'm misting his home to try and keep it a bit humid. I have a couple questions tho...

1. What's the usual shed cycle? Like eyes blue for a couple days then how long after does it shed?
2. What are some DOs and DONTs like no feeding or anything? sensitive new skin after the shed?
3. Anything else?

I have searched the forums for some info and things but I'm still a little unsure. I'm sure it'll go fine but I just wanna make sure I'm not forgetting anything critical.

Thanks for your help :)

Time varies but around ten days. Check your humidity too. Try to keep it around 40-50%. And you can feed your snake but it might or might not eat.
That varies with the snake too.
Not much else to do...But to wait. :grin01:

My snake's total shed time is approximately 10 days. First the eyes go cloudy for about 7 days, then they clear up for about 2 days, then the shed on the third day of clear eyes. I kept the humidity in the tank between 60 and 85% during the shed cycle, and also kept a humid hide that the snake could use at it needed.

I put the following pictures together specifically to show the progression of the shed cycle. I hope they help:

Attachments

• bluesheen.jpg
    bluesheen.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 54
  • startcloudy.jpg
    startcloudy.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 54
  • peakcloudy.jpg
    peakcloudy.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 54
  • eyesclear.jpg
    eyesclear.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 54
  • looseskin.jpg
    looseskin.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 54
Shedding is generally not something to worry about, and as long as humidity is good the snake should shed completely. Just check once he does shed (by looking at the discarded skin) that the skin's all there right down to he tip and the eyecaps have come off, but if you keep misting him it should all go fine.

Back