• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How many times do you put pairs together?

How many times do you put your corns together?

• Pair them once, that is enough.

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Pair them up twice.

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Pair them up 3 times

Votes: 23 45.1%
  • Pair them up as many times as they can handle.

Votes: 12 23.5%

• Total voters

El Jefe

Mark 16:18
Well, this year I had more males than usual so I could pair them up several times. Almost all were paired up at least 2 times and some a few more and a few were only paired up once. It got me thinking, how many times do most of YOU pair you snakes? Anyone noticed increased/decreased fertility based on the number of pairings? Also, how much time do you let elapse between pairings?

I like to try for three spillage-confirmed sessions. I usually give the male 1-2 days to recover between sessions. I haven't been breeding them long enough to gather much data on how the number of sessions affects fertility.

My first year breeding, so I'm hoping to follow this thread for info! 2 hook-ups so far for my happy coulpe

I also pair up 3 times with several days between. It must be working, I have had 3 nice clutches so far laid with all fertile eggs.

I pair them up at least twice, preferably three times, but it can depend upon the feeding schedule and if there is another female ready for that male at the same time. Ideally, I would pair them every other day, but over the past few years, I've actually found it better to leave the pair alone together for several days and they just do it when they feel like it. As for fertility, I've always paired my snakes multiple times and I still get some clutches with low fertility. I think it depends more on when in her cycle she is bred. And that can be very hard to judge at times, especially if you get a picky female that won't accept a certain male when she should.

Third time's the charm!
I am guessing twice is probably just as effective, but I usually do 3 'spillage confirmed sessions' like Dean said. I like to give the males a 3 day rest period in between.

I try for 3 times but if I have to use the same male to many females then twice . I used to breed my male every other day to every 2 days. I dont do that any more except when I'm using male that is a poor breeder. My stud males go every day . I used a male this year that is only 18 months old and breed him everyday to a total of 4 females he went with every female twice to three times. he is still hot to trot he has one more female that hasn't gave in yet and any body double clutches he will be used . he will be the most used male this year. he is a bloodred het - lav, hypo, stripe, poss anery (A & B) ,amel

Vinman said:
I used a male this year that is only 18 months old and breed him everyday to a total of 4 females he went with every female twice to three times. he is still hot to trot he has one more female that hasn't gave in yet
LOL Change "18 months" to "18 years" and you just described all three of my brothers. :grin01:

I pair them up until I see genital contact three times or "liquid evidence" of copulation. If I don't witness the signs I like, I keep pairing them until the female goes into shed and stops eating.

Chris

I pair mine up every three days until the female no longer shows interest in the male. Usually this is about 3 times, but occasionally 4.

This is my formula, pair for 3 times, 3 on - 3 off.
This is regardless of seeing spillage or actual copulation.

Ciao

That time of year again so I thought I'd revive a few of the helpful threads and see if other people want to vote. ;)

Back