• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Photo request: a healthy mouth

Cegninedorf

Twang'em into trees!
I was reading about URIs and mouth rot in Don Soderbergh's book, and it stated that I should open my snake's mouth and look inside for mucous as a sign for a URI. Well, I don't look in my snake's mouth to know what it would look like if it's healthy, so I don't really know if my snake's mouth is unhealthy in comparison. Don does give a photo of a snake with mouth rot, though.

Does someone have a close-up-ish photo of the inside of a healthy corn's mouth? While one was eating just now, I tried to peer inside...and to open the mouth, just press lightly on where the jaws connect (like I do for my cat when administering oral meds?)?

Thanks...

PS...I began to wonder if my big guy, Caramelo, has a URI because I noticed one time only that when I saw him breathe through his nose the other day, that it looked like he blew a bit of a bubble. I watched for a while longer...no more bubble. I began to read some more. I have noticed absolutely no mouth breathing and I've never heard any clicking or any noise like that. I held his head up to my ear (should the breathing be more audible than having to hold his head to my ear if he has a URI?) and I heard nothing...except a "whoosh" sound of breath, which made me think that I was annoying him with my paranoia. :p I haven't noticed any mucous coming from or around the mouth. However, could something like that happen because he's also in serious blue?

Thanks again... :shrugs:

cornsnakemouth.jpg

Snake_Charmer said:
WOW.. how did you get that shot? But yeah, this is a good question indeed. I'd be curious to know too. I have occassionally pried open my ghosts mouth to check it and its looked healthy.

ladydragon said:
WOW.. how did you get that shot?
Pure luck! :D I was actually reaching over the tub she was in to put the camera down and glanced down at her just as she looked straight up at me & yawned.

Pauline

that is awesome. I was looking at the pic and my 9 year old walked in and was like.. Whoa.. does that snake have its mouth open? He was amazed by it. Hopefully a future snake lover. :D

Yeah. my snake opend her mouth just as i was looking in on her, what a cutie. I can hardly see their teeth!!! ;)

Yeah. my snake opend her mouth just as i was looking in on her, what a cutie. I can hardly see their teeth!!! ;)

Awww...a thread of mine from 7 months ago. It makes me feel like a real member to already have old threads of mine dredged up out of the archives. :)

Luvmycorn, I know what you mean...I still look to see their teeth when I feed them or see them yawn. It floors me that they're so little, like Velcro, and their jaws are so pliable. :)

Back