• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Not major but... Rep points not incrementing?

bitsy

Owned by Corns since 1991
Just noticed that I've had 3 rep points "awarded"to me recently, but the Rep count in my post hasn't increased - has been 48 for a few weeks now.

Is the counter not working at the moment?

Not a big deal - I just went in to change my sig and noticed I had new points.

If someone with say 30 rep points reps me, that does not increase my "reputation". It does however add "points" to my score.

Whereas, when Dean/mike/Susan reps me my "reputation" goes up by 2 numbers at least. My "score" increases by hundreds of points.

Sometimes it will take 5 "lower ranking" members to all rep you before your "reputation" number increases.

When you first enter User CP, the 'box' that is titled "Latest Reputation Received" has a point total within that red/maroon border next to the blue max/min arrow at the right. When that point total (CP rep points) increases by 100, you earn 1 rep point (visible rep points) displayed under your name. I believe that each person that reps you gives you their reputation points. ie. If/When I would rep you, right now you'd get 154 points in your CP Panel rep. points. Your visible rep points would go up by at least one, and possibly two if you had 46 from the most recent '100'. That make sense?

You're rep points will also go up by 1 for each 100 posts you make. There's also rep points for how long you've been on the forum, but I'm not sure where/when/how they are divvied out. That help?

D80

It also depends upon if the person giving you rep points has a green or blue square which is located to the left (just under "thread") where your latest reputations are listed. I forget what the exact difference is but it has something to with each person's overall rep status (green is more). I don't think reps from blue-squared members affect your points.

Aha! That clears it up then. Having a quick look, two lots of my rep are from grey-squared contributors. Lovely thought and as much appreciated as any other, but no statistical kudos.

Cool - thanks all. :cheers:

Corny Noob said:
Every hundred posts now also seems to increase your rep some.
By one point. :)

Also, IIRC, every month of membership increases the rep number by one as well.

Bottom line for me is one big shrug.

regards,
jazz

Drizzt80 said:
When you first enter User CP, the 'box' that is titled "Latest Reputation Received" has a point total within that red/maroon border next to the blue max/min arrow at the right.....
D80
Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I don't see anything on my CP that says anything about Reputation. Is this something only contributing members get? I noticed I have 1 point and was wondering why.

mommyof2 said:
Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I don't see anything on my CP that says anything about Reputation.
The attached pic may help. You may not have a reputation box yet if you haven't received any rep. (Check now . . . :) )

Is this something only contributing members get? I noticed I have 1 point and was wondering why.
No, it's not just contributing members. You may have 1 point as you joined in May and it's now June. :shrugs:

D80

Attachments

• RepHelp.jpg
    RepHelp.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 132
Susan said:
It also depends upon if the person giving you rep points has a green or blue square which is located to the left (just under "thread") where your latest reputations are listed. I forget what the exact difference is but it has something to with each person's overall rep status (green is more). I don't think reps from blue-squared members affect your points.
Correct me if I'm wrong for sure, but I believe when you rep somebody there's the round bullet 'box' that's automatically checked next to the sentence "This is an especially GOOD post!" If you uncheck that bullet does that create the blue rep box as opposed to the green? :shrugs:

jazzgeek said:
In the grand scheme of things me too :cool: but on the other hand, I'm too curious and just want/need to know how things "work". :)

D80

Drizzt80 said:
The attached pic may help. You may not have a reputation box yet if you haven't received any rep. (Check now . . . :) )

No, it's not just contributing members. You may have 1 point as you joined in May and it's now June. :shrugs:

D80
Yes, now it is there. Thank you! I was beginning to wonder how I had 1 point and no box. Thanks again! I'm going to send rep. points your way for that wonderful labeled photo.

Drizzt80 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong for sure, but I believe when you rep somebody there's the round bullet 'box' that's automatically checked next to the sentence "This is an especially GOOD post!" If you uncheck that bullet does that create the blue rep box as opposed to the green? :shrugs:

In the grand scheme of things me too :cool: but on the other hand, I'm too curious and just want/need to know how things "work". :)

D80
I just clicked to give you rep points to try your theory. I saw only 2 options, either an especially good post or an especially bad post. I couldn't "uncheck" the good post without having to check the bad post. If you want, I can give you a bad post rep just to see what happens. Willing to give it a try? :devil01:

The "blue" rep box means that the member giving you reputation feedback doesn't have any "power" to influence your total. So it is basically a zero count applied to your total.

Susan said:
I just clicked to give you rep points to try your theory. I saw only 2 options, either an especially good post or an especially bad post. I couldn't "uncheck" the good post without having to check the bad post. If you want, I can give you a bad post rep just to see what happens. Willing to give it a try? :devil01:
I want that power! All I have is the especially good post and I can't uncheck it. I believe it is from the days of positive and negative rep points before the system was changed.

~Katie

jazzgeek said:
Not for me. I greedily count and re-count mine, especially while I'm making my underpaid workers work late on the eves of major religious holidays... :grin01:

Roy Munson said:
Not for me. I greedily count and re-count mine, especially while I'm making my underpaid workers work late on the eves of major religious holidays... :grin01:
Do I hear distant evil laughter?

Susan said:
Maybe . . . :eek1: Though after Rich's post I think he cleared up the blue box issue! I hadn't realized you couldn't un-check the bullet. Just had never tried it!

D80

ok. now we know how to get rep points, but what are they for? do they just look nice and give you added credability?

ok. now we know how to get rep points, but what are they for? do they just look nice and give you added credability?
Ideally, and in most cases, they indicate people who are more active and tend to be more knowledgeable around the site. It's kind of a nice pat on the back when people recognize your posts or comments and give you some rep. It's also feels good to hand out rep when people add some significance to the discussions around here.

D80

Back