• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New way to catch an escaped snake

Austin M

I have had several snakes escaped over the years and have found them all. This time was different because this snake is a shy timid thing that always hides. It had been gone for a month and a half when it dawned on me, use a minnow trap. I put a live mouse in the trap, put it in a room and checked on it 24 hours later. The second day I found this. Also here is a picture of a minnow trap for anyone who doesn't know what one is.

Attachments

• snaketrap1.jpg
    snaketrap1.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 317
  • snaketrap2.jpg
    snaketrap2.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 317
  • snaketrap3.jpg
    snaketrap3.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 317
THAt HAS TO BE ONE OF THE GREATESt IDEAS I MIGHT HAV TO GO BUY ME SOEM OF THOSE HAHA incase i have to deal with an escaped snake.!! and iam also assuming the mouse was NO longer there !! Again great idea!!

Thats a good idea. I should hire you to come trap my Golddust Motley female that been escaped for a couple of weeks. Shes very small, I don't think that trap will work on her.

No offense intended, because I'm glad this has worked for you.
But this doesn't seem to be a new method, especially with the smaller snakes, all the time people cut up a 2liter soda bottle in half invert the top and put the mouse in, the snake too plump after eatting can't get back out.
:shrugs:

Well it is a new method Jenn, because bottle traps can only capture very small snakes. This minnow thing has an adult in it! And its able to sustain a moose in it too. Thats a cool idea.

Well as we've all pointed out it is awesome for the bigger snakes.
I hope I never have to use the idea :eek1:

Pretty cool! We used to use those [minnow traps] to catch hatchling common snapping turtles out of the canals around our house. :D

Let me correct myself. It's new to me. I'm not trying to take credit for inventing the wheel here. I just had a new idea, new to me that is, and it worked for me. May be the idea and pictures can help someone else in the future? That's what I hope and that's why I posted it.

Wtg!

That was a great idea and yes I am sure it would work for others Thanks for sharing! :cheers: :wavey:

I forgot to add that I think the open cage helps because of smell and sight. My corns lock on anything that moves when they're hungry. They are very visual hunters. The open cage also allows the mouse smell to be in the air and a corn can see the mouse move from any angle.

Just wanted to say that I think this is a great idea for someone who may find themselves in need!

Thanks for sharing.

That was my lav blood girl that was lost. :sidestep:
She is safe and sound now. I believe one of my sons buddies opened the lid and didn't lock it when they put it back on. :shrugs:

I agree

I think the smell thing really makes a difference. Over the years we have found most of our escapees in the bathroom. I think they are smelling the only source of water in the house.

Ha lol kind of :-offtopic I lost my hamster once found it in the bathroom. I guess animals like it because as someone has said they sense the water.
Ok back on topic I say the best way to find your snake is by never losing it in the first place lol. I always check that my enclosures are escape proof. I even go the extra yard and put weight on the tops even with something keeping the top from sliding. The best way to find your snake everyday in the same place is to never lose it in the first place. Ha that rhymes.

If I had two snakes escape in June because a friend neglected to put the clips back on top of their tank... do you think they could still turn up? I wish I would have found out about this method months ago. :eek:|

Part of it depends on how old they are. An older snake can last for quite a while while a younger snake it might not be able to last as long. For me atleast I also make sure to check the enclosure myself and not let other people into it although I have had great success with the Zilla Critter Cage due to its very well designed lid that fits onto tracks so they can push up against it as much as they want and it does no good as you have to slide it out the front.

I saw a tank with a similar if not identical lid. I'm def considering investing in one. It's better than these stupid clips. I knew nothing about snakes when I bought my corn last year so everything is very basic.

Ya its well worth the investment. Both of mine have sliding tops with a little whole so you can put in a plastic or metal pin to keep in from sliding out. If it doesn't come with a pin hole you can just drill a whole through the cover that when you put something through it it is on the inside of the cage and keeps it from sliding out. :)

Back