• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Garth the Eastern Black-Necked Garter (Freshly Shed)

Roy Munson

He's an '07 produced by Joanna Duby (Jodu). I REALLY like this guy and his sister. I've had them both for almost exactly two months, and they've both more than doubled their weights. Of course, since he started at only 3.2g, that means he's only up to 6.6g now, but it's progress! The female's a couple of grams heavier, but that's to be expected with garters; females get much larger. They CHOW split minnow-scented pinks enthusiastically and they give me perfect sheds every time. :)

Attachments

• 121507 garth fs (1).JPG
    121507 garth fs (1).JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 121507 garth fs (26).JPG
    121507 garth fs (26).JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 121507 garth fs (11).JPG
    121507 garth fs (11).JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 121507 garth fs (7).JPG
    121507 garth fs (7).JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 135
Awesome snake. I really like the albino garters, and the turquoise, but the black-necks are a close third.

Unrelated side note: I just read your sig and laughed fr a good five minutes.

Hes got a nice weird tongue... and thats all I have to say about that. LOL
Hah! C'mon, don't you just melt looking into those beady, birdie eyes? Tweet-tweet! :grin01:

Dreqqus said:
Awesome snake. I really like the albino garters, and the turquoise, but the black-necks are a close third.

Unrelated side note: I just read your sig and laughed fr a good five minutes.
Thanks! :cheers: I love the Puget Sound blue garters, and I may see about picking up a pair in the spring. :)

Melt as in "I'm meeeeelting, oh what a world!!". Deathly fear melting yes :)
:laugh: Very well-- I'll bide my time-- and as for you, my fine lady, it's true, I can't attend to you here and now as I'd like, but just try to stay out of my way...

Pasodama said:
He's a beautiful snake. :)
Very nice tongue shot/s too.
Thanks Deb. :D He was very "tongue-y" today.

Oh that sounded a bit sultry! Bad Deano... :rofl:
Think of the children! ;) The witch had all the best dialogue. As a kid, I thought she was scary and cool at the same time. I always felt bad for her in the end. I hated Glinda. I always wanted the Witch of the West to kick her ***.

When I got my Okeetee in Sept he was 6 grams, I couldn't believe how tiny he was. My son's anery was about 6 months old and about 20 grams when I bought him, so I was shocked at how tiny my little Okeetee was...lol..he's growing nicely though, he was 21 grams about two weeks ago :)

He's looking beautiful! I guess you don't ever give them minnows for a treat. It'd be so cool to watch them fish.

So maybe this is just me, but the gray on the head looks like a helmet, and the yellow stripe as a spine protector, with the black patches being armor. Imagery is fun. :D

He's looking beautiful! I guess you don't ever give them minnows for a treat. It'd be so cool to watch them fish.
Thanks Nanci. :) They started out on live minnows, so I got to see a little fishin'. But it's not always easy to convert these guys (or other garters) to pinks, and even though these guys gave me no problems, I'm reluctant to go back, even for a treat. Parasites are a concern too. Feeder fish are often kept in less-than-optimal hygeine conditions.

Jrgh17 said:
So maybe this is just me, but the gray on the head looks like a helmet, and the yellow stripe as a spine protector, with the black patches being armor. Imagery is fun. :D
You've gotta lay off the peyote, Jenni! :grin01: But seriously, I see what you're saying. To me, their very-heavily-keeled scales give them an armored look and feel. :)

I haven' t been on the boards for a while and was thrilled to see these photos. I am so glad they are doing well for you. I love seeing updates on "my babies"!

To give you an idea about garter size - Garth's dad is about 2 + years old and weighs a whopping 50 g and Mom who is 3 1/2 weighs about 160 g ! I don't expect the male to get much larger either!

I think he's stunning - in fact so much so that I seriously considered getting a couple garters at the last show I was at... I liked the albino checkered ones... but I had a snake limit... maybe next time!

He looks great!

I haven' t been on the boards for a while and was thrilled to see these photos. I am so glad they are doing well for you. I love seeing updates on "my babies"!

To give you an idea about garter size - Garth's dad is about 2 + years old and weighs a whopping 50 g and Mom who is 3 1/2 weighs about 160 g ! I don't expect the male to get much larger either!

They're doing great, Joanna! I love 'em. The scenting is so easy that I haven't even bothered trying to offer them unscented yet. The female is much larger-- she's probably over 10g now. She just shed yesterday, so I'll try to get some pics of her posted before the weekend. :)

Eriathiel said:
I think he's stunning - in fact so much so that I seriously considered getting a couple garters at the last show I was at... I liked the albino checkered ones... but I had a snake limit... maybe next time!

He looks great!
Thanks! :cheers:

Awesome update! I remember seeing Joana's thread when these guys were born and being breath taken. Remembering the smell of paster garter experiences made me take their beauty with a grain of salt though. :puke01:

Back