• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Gretchen the Black-Necked Garter Snake

Roy Munson

She's an '07 produced by Joanna Duby (Jodu). I posted pics of the male a couple of weeks ago. I can't get enough of 'em. I could look at pics of them for hours. She's up to 10.4g now, which isn't bad considering that she was 3.8g when she arrived in mid-October. The male's a bit flighty and musky, but Gretchen is fairly mellow and doesn't seem to mind being handled all that much. :)

Attachments

• 123107 gretchen rs.JPG
    123107 gretchen rs.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 123107 gretchen rs (4).JPG
    123107 gretchen rs (4).JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 123107 gretchen rs (9).JPG
    123107 gretchen rs (9).JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 123107 gretchen rs (25).JPG
    123107 gretchen rs (25).JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 118
Nice set of pics Dean.. A garter snake was one of the first snakes I had, 30yrs ago..
It's good to see pics of them. All too often we get caught up in the massive and the rare and forget how cool some of the more obvious snakes are...
MIKE

She's so checkery and beautiful! So what other garters will you be picking up at Daytona??

Very nice Roy! Ive been recently looking for a couple garters.. I started with them almost 9 years ago.. i'd love to have more.. sucks almost noone in canada breeds them because there "worthless" and can't make people money..
some Sub species are bred, but only the really expencive ones like the San Frans!

Thanks Mike and George. :cheers:
She's so checkery and beautiful! So what other garters will you be picking up at Daytona??
Thanks Nanci. :) I don't think I'll be at Daytona-- it's an expensive trip when I really shouldn't be buying anything anyway. Joe Cala and I are probably going to the NY Metro Reptile Expo this weekend, but I don't think I've seen garters there. I may try to pick up a pair of Puget Sound Blues from Scott Fetzer in the spring.

RyanR said:
Very nice Roy! Ive been recently looking for a couple garters.. I started with them almost 9 years ago.. i'd love to have more.. sucks almost noone in canada breeds them because there "worthless" and can't make people money..
some Sub species are bred, but only the really expencive ones like the San Frans!
Thanks Ryan. At least you guys are ALLOWED to keep San Frans. I'd love to own a pair, but they're illegal to keep in the U.S.. :(

She's looking great!

As to garters in Canada I think you might be surprised. There is a very active board - thamnophis.com - and there are a lot of Canadian members. I also sold 2.2 of the Eastern Blacknecks to someone in Toronto! That included an adult female but the boys will still be too young to breed this season.

Very nice garter, Dean! They have such nice colors!

I don't think I'll be at Daytona-- it's an expensive trip when I really shouldn't be buying anything anyway. Joe Cala and I are probably going to the NY Metro Reptile Expo this weekend, but I don't think I've seen garters there. I may try to pick up a pair of Puget Sound Blues from Scott Fetzer in the spring.

Aww, I want to meet you! You can go and buy some stuff for me so you don't have to feel bad about getting more snakes!

Nice Dean, garters just don't get the respect they deserve. Sure hope to see pics of the Puget Sounds :*)

She's soooo pretty! I just love the colors some of the garters get. If we had the space and the patience I'd love to have one or two - just to look at!

Do you have a link to the boy's thread? I think I missed it, cause I didn't see it.

Jenn

I LOVE her tongue. It looks like she started licking ink or something. :)

And of course, my previous comment about armor and spine protectors still stands.

Wow, the garters I grew up around (wouldn't have anything to do with them back then) looked nothing like that one! She's sharp looking. And such amazing pictures with that camera. I'm still trying. Tossed the bunch I did on the 1st. Not a single one of them turned out worth a darn...sigh....

Back