• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Black plastic hides

norm

Corporate Reptile Keeper
Black plastic hides. Does anybody know a place online that sells those black plastic hides that i see all the time? Everyplace I've been only has really fancy hides that are $15-$20 and I'm looking for something less expensive.

If you really want cheap black plastic hides I have your solution. Grocery stores now pack most meats in plastic containers instead of the flat styrofoam they used to use. I buy hamburger meat in 1 and 5 pound containers. Most of them are black. So I bleach it and cut a hole in the side, flip it upside down and there ya go-a hide thats washable and cheap.

If I can find a picture of one I use I'll post it for you.

Ok I couldn't find a black one but I did find one of the white ones. ;)
P1080216.JPG

Those are the Zilla "Creature Cubbyhole".

Check the various online herp supply shops, they go for about $2-$5 each plus shipping.

reptiledirect.com has just the large currently, reptilesupply.com has just a smaller size. Herpsupplies.com has the large and extra large.

Wow looks like nobody has all of the sizes any more.

They're nice simple hides and easily cleaned, at one point I was trying to supply every rack shelf with 2 of them, but it got too hard to get enough in the proper sizes as the snakes grew.

Another nice cheap plastic hide, more easily found, is plastic plant saucers from Walmart or a hardware superstore. Cut out an entry hole, either in the top or side, and they're ready to go. Cost $.47 to maybe $1.50 for the largest size.

I use those cheap plastic round trays that look like terra cotta. They are used for keeping water from leaking out of flower pots when you water them. I flip them over and cut a hole out. Whamola! Instant snake hide. I'll get a pic when I can. I also use them for nest boxes by putting two together like a "flying saucer".

here's what I use for a hide/water dish....only cost $1.99 in the rabbit section of the pet store. You can always find hamster hides much much cheaper then anything for reptiles.
1dish.jpg

here's what I use for a hide/water dish....only cost $1.99 in the rabbit section of the pet store. You can always find hamster hides much much cheaper then anything for reptiles.
1dish.jpg

Now THAT is what I'm looking for!! Thanks, Lisa! I love the big ceramic bowl I have now, but between all the wood and everything I use it would be nice to get rid of the water bowl so I can actually see the snake during the day. That kills two birds with one stone! And since it's plastic, I can paint it any color I want with Fusion. Perfect!

These are all really good ideas. I cut off the bottom of a Maxwell House coffee jug, flipped it over and cut out an entry hole. Works perfectly. I also use those for water changes for my smaller tanks, acclimating fish, holding kids toys, etc. etc. etc. I was so happy when they started using those instead of cans.

:)
I also use large dog dishes(like the smaller in the pics) for my 2 adult corns.
100_3271.jpg

Sense we are talking about "things from the garden section" here's my other idea......
100_3355.jpg

Love your...grapewood, I think?

Is that a teeny tiny head sticking out of that plant cup?

Yes it is! That's my Big Daddy Normal as a little guy. Now he would need a big Planter!
I have tons of these plastic planters because all my plants I buy for my Frog tanks come in them. :)

I like to reuse what I can! Go Green! :)

Oh also I have used the terra cotta(SP?) pots turned upsidedown too. But the hole on the bottom is only big enough for a Smaller Corn. But they pots can be soaked in water for a hour or so and then used as a humid hide to aid in shedding :)

Oh the chunk of "wood" by the plastic planter is also plastic....a gift from my Step-brother. I don't really buy stuff like that becase it's so expensive. But this peice is nice because there is room for the snake to hide underneath.

1dish.jpg

that is cool! and a space saver too!

Lisa, you're just full of good ideas! And here all this time I assumed that your username was referring to Green Bay because you live in WI. :laugh:

Thanks! I have a lot of pets to care for.......so why not save some money(green haha)!

Haha I never even thought of it sounding like it was about the Green Bay Packers! My Mom is a big fan but I could really care less about football. Would be neat to go to a football game but not in Green Bay where you'd freeze your butt off!

The Green really stands for all my pet frogs and lizards and how I love plants and parks(grass,trees,ponds).

Back