• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Milksnake Genetics questions

chia44

Milksnaker Imposterating!
I hate feeling dumb, or asking questions I think are a bit stupid, but I've been researching and looking and searching and looking and I simply can't find the answers.

There are many milk snake "sub-species" listed in the resources I have found, and it appears that within the sub-species they list morphs. Does that mean that breeding across sub-species would create hybrids?

For example, if you bred a Honduran with a Pueblan would you have a hybrid species that I'm not aware of or what might a clutch provide?

If someone has a good link to milk snake or king snake genetic info I would love to see it, or maybe you can simply provide some of your own knowledge. Thanks in advance! ;)

Breeding between subspecies creates "intergrades". It would be the same as breeding a California King by a Florida King, or a Corn to an Emroy's Ratsnake. Any recessive genes from either side could be passed to the offspring. Viable offspring that are permitted to mate *could* produce morphs at the same ratios as non-intergrades.

When you get into Milksnakes...your money comes from pure lines. Hondurans have a few recessive traits...hypo, albino, and anery...plus a few line-bred traits...tangerine comes to mind. Other subspecies of milksnakes also have recessive and bred traits...Albino Nelson's, Apricot Pueblan(linebred), Halloween Pueblan(linebred).

A Hondo/Pueblan crossed is not going to be as easy to sell as a pure Pueblan or Honduran. Much the same as a Creamsicle isn't as desireable as an Amel Corn, to many people.

Checkout HighSierraReptiles.com. Shannon is a good friend of mine, and a fantastic breeder of milksnake morphs and localities. There is a TON of good locality and genetic information about milks on his site. The site never gets updated, but if you shoot him an email, he tries to respond as fast as possible.

There are crosses out there. but most want the pure breeds.
here is a pueblan x nelsons cross.
nelsoncross.jpg

Back