• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is Aspen bedding for hamster's ok for Corn's?

Hello all,
I've always used the zoo med brand of aspen bedding for my corn snake but I've noticed that aspen bedding made for hamsters and other pets is a lot cheaper especially when you buy it in a bigger bulk size. I'm sure someone who works for a reptile product company would tell me that the hamster aspen bedding is unsafe for snakes (as the reptile business is still a business and most business's will tell you anything to keep you buying their product). So have any of you bought and used aspen bedding that is made for hamster's or another generic brand and it has worked out ok? I'm sure this has been something that has been debated for a long time but I couldn't find any specific threads dedicated to it. Hope you all have a good day.

I use to buy aspen bedding from the pet store too, but it was so expensive to keep buying a new one every month. So i was at Walmart, and i went to the pet section to see if there were any simple things my snake would like and i saw aspen bedding. It cost three dollars, and it said "great for: rabbits, guinea pigs, ferrets, other small animals, large birds and reptiles" So i decided to try it out, and my snake loved it (well, he didnt act any different) Just make sure it is non-toxic, and no wood oil. The brand that i use is called "AlfaPet".

I've used them for a year now and haven't had a single problem. The only thing I've noticed is that its a little bit dustier(not enough to hurt) and rougher since the reptile one is shredded and the hamster bedding is chipped. It would be better for yearling to adult sized corns since its rougher, if you have hatchlings I would use the shredded stuff. Hope that helped:)

Oh heavens no. You can not use rodent aspen for reptiles. Rodents stand up on their legs so that their body is suspended above the aspen. A snake on the other hand spends he entire life with his belly planted in the aspen. Day and night. Big difference.

Reptile aspen has been put through a tumbler with ceramic spheres in it and then tumbled. The tumbling action combined with the abrasives of the ceramic sands the edges of the aspen chips smooth and rounds them off so that will not harm the soft underbelly of the snake.

This is a good place for information so feel free to ask lots of questions.

Ok then I have a question, where can you buy a big bag of the aspen snake bedding cheap. I can only get it in 8 liter bags for 9 dollars and the 24 liter bag for 20 dollars. 8 Liter bag will only do two of my 20 gallon vivs.

Well, first off, let me just say that everything I said in my post above was pure bull. I was joking with you. :grin01:

Aspen is aspen, it doesn't matter what kind it is. Some people like the shredded better because the snake can tunnel and burrow in it. Others like the chips. Either way doesn't matter.

I used to buy it online from Petsmart (or maybe Petco, can't remember). With them if you spend over $70.00 the freight is free. I would get 6 big bales for about $75.00. That is the best price I have found.

Honestly, I don't use aspen, I use pine. I know everyone will scream bloody murder but it is fine. I have been using pine for 30 years or more and have never had a problem. You can get pine in bales from most feed stores. It is used for horse bedding. It is much cheaper than aspen and I like it better.

Here is a link for Petsmart. It's 13.00 for 4 cubic feet which is about 12 liters. The down side is it's another 12.00 for shipping. That is still cheap. If you spend $60.00 or more ( 5 bags ) the total for the shipping is only $6.00. If you can afford that much that would be the way to go.

The dilemma has been solved for me. I was in Petsmart today and saw the usual bag of 8 litres of zoo med aspen for $8. I walked over 2 aisles to the small animal bedding section and found a 52 liter bag of Kaytee Brand Aspen for the exact same price. Wow 44 more liters of aspen bedding and all I had to do was walk over about 20 feet. This brand is the same brand that the House Of Reptiles here in Portland, Oregon sells so I know I can't go wrong with it.

Wade.... you're awful...

:roflmao::bowdown:

I buy the big bag from PetSmart and it lasts me forever with only 3 animals.

A little off topic, but for anyone with Asthma, I use Eco Bedding for our snake and its been great.

I tried Aspen orig. and within a few hours my eyes and breathing really took a hit. So, we now use a light brown reptile carpet and I create an area behind some driftwood for him to borrow, rest, etc. I buy the large green bag of this stuff from Pet Smart and put in about two handfuls; only changing it out if he does his business in that spot. Still have yet to go through a whole bag.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3157992

If you have any feed stores near you, they have great deals, too. I get my aspen bedding from a feed store here. Giant bags, no shipping. It is the small animal bedding, but my snakes don't seem to care.

FYI on this thread...Tractor Supply Company sells bales of Aspen for around $6.00/bale. Pretty darn cheap but it's in-store only, they won't ship.

Back