• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

heating/tupperware

tmountain35

I did search for this and found some things, but want to make sure i successfully combined info from various posts.

As my subject indicates, i plan on using a tupperware container instead of a glass aquarium. Ok, so i buy a heat pad that will cover roughly 1/3 of the bottom of the container but do not put the container directly on the pad. (?) instead put something such as glass or tile inbetween the pad and the tupperware container. Also the heat pad should be elevated and not sit flush onto whatever it rests on. i guess that makes sense.

Then setup a rheostat to control the temp of the heat pad.

Now i should also have a seperate thermometer and humidity guage correct to make sure the temp is where i want it.

Looking at bigapple.com
dragon lair heat matt 11x11 $22
rheostat deluxe $21
thermometer gauge and humidy guage $14

I'll look at local vendors first but am i missing something here ?

thanks
travis (spelled my name correctly this time lol)

You can put the container right on the pad as long as the pad is properly controlled to give you the right temps. If you are trying to heat the enclosure to the proper temps through an additional layer (ie glass), all you'll be doing a using more energy. Just get a good thermostat and you'll be fine... :)

I've found that the majority of heating pads, set on low, will produce too much heat if left in direct contact with the tupperware or glass cages. My favorite item to use as a barrier is a terrycloth towel. It can be used above and below a heating pad, and can be folded to just the right thickness to maintain a proper temperature. It also can hold the heat for a little while in case of a power outage (thunder storm season here in Florida, outages on a daily basis).

Back