• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

1 Fuzzy or 2 pinkys?

jniels84

My snake is 7 months old, and just ate her first fuzzy last friday on the. well friday the 13th actually LOL. anyway ive been feeding her 1 pinky every friday (She has been eating Pinkys in like 3 seconds for the last month), and last week i offered her 2 pinkies and she gobbled em both up and i could barely see a lump in her bellly. . I fed her the fuzzy on the 13th and the Lump looked pretty big to me..almost looked double her body diamiter.. should i revert back to 2 pinkies or should i continue with the fuzzys? (I wish i had a pic to show).. also when she is on Fuzzys do you go longer in between feeding times? like stretch it to a week and a half vs. every week? thanks

The general guideline is that you should feed something which is about one and a half times the width of the snake's body, and the lump should stay in the belly for 24-48 hours after feeding. If the lump goes down sooner, then it's time to move up a size until you hit adult mice. They can eat pretty large things in comparison to them, but the larger the food, the greater the risk of a regurge. It really depends on the individual snake, so only you will be able to judge whether the food is too large. You can always feed 3 pinkies at a time if you want a sort of inbetween step for a few feeds before trying fuzzies again.

As you go up food sizes, you feed less often to allow their digestion to work properly and avoid them putting on flab rather than healthy muscle as they grow. With pinkies I feed one every 4-5 days, with fuzzies, one every 5-7 days. Small mice are one every 7 days, medium mice one every 10 days and large mice one every 14-21 days. Depends on the individual snake though - any guidelines you get will need tweaking if a snake gets a little skinny or a bit porky!

Thanks, thats really helpful, I was probably under feeding her then since I haven't seen a lump really in about a month. The fuzzy did seem like it was 1 & 1/2 her diameter before I fed it to her. I'll continue with feeding every 7 days.

It can be a bit alarming when they move up a size, especially if they've been chugging the smaller food in record time and have little or no lump afterwards!

When in doubt, it's always better to slightly underfeed. It's easy to get flab on a Corn and a bit of a nightmare to get it off again (rather like humans). As Corns are evolved to go without food for weeks or months in the wild without harm, it's easy to overfeed in captivity.

Back