• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

100% Pure?

Charger9

Hello I figured the people who post in this room would be the best to ask, are certain corn snake morphs not 100% Corn Snake? I have heard that some Corns like creamscicle are corn and rat mixed(i do realize corns are a rat snake) Could someone please list the common morphs that are not 100% Corn if there are any. Thanks

I think that's what he was asking for... :rolleyes: Anyway, I think creams' and jungle corns (corn x king) are the most common..

hana

These are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head, the first ones are crossed with a ratsnake (could be different types - hybrids aren't my specialty)
-creamsicle
-rootbeer
-cinnamon

There are also jungle corns which are corn x king. Those are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head although I'm sure there are more. I think there are corn x milksnakes out there too but again, I'm not sure what they're going by. Hope this helps a little.

~Katie

Well,try to search the forum for the following:
rootbeer
creamsicle
cinnamon
jungle
harvest
burgundy
turbo
frosted....

There may be some others I don't know. :cheers:

Yes, unless noted otherwise.. And before The Wise One 'clears' things up for you, I'll add that Motley is a pattern morph, Candy Cane is a line bred morph, and Crimson is a form of hypo I believe.

Hope that helps. :)

hana

Charger9 said:
Sorry if I sound pretty dumb, so Corns like Crimson, Candycane, and Motley are pure Corn?
A Crimson is a hypo Miami Phase, Candycane is a selectively bred amel, and Motley is a gene - all pure corn.

~Katie

Afterthought: As I was beaten to it...

Still have a question, I was looking on Corn-utopia and if you look at Candy Canes it says that they are bred from selectively breeding Miami Phase and Creamsicles. So if we have determined that Creams come from a corn/rat mix would you not say Candycanes have rat blood?

Charger9 said:
Still have a question, I was looking on Corn-utopia and if you look at Candy Canes it says that they are bred from selectively breeding Miami Phase and Creamsicles. So if we have determined that Creams come from a corn/rat mix would you not say Candycanes have rat blood?

Yes Kathy Love did use creamcicles in her candy cane lines, but there are candy cane lines that have no creamsicle blood in them so i would by no means say that all candy canes have creamsicle blood in them.

Also i believe that Kathy Love has replaced her original candy cane project with pure corns and she has only Left her web site like that so people know that some of the candy canes that have come from her have the possibility of having creams in there family tree. You might want to e-mail her for more information.

Thanks that was informative, the reason I am asking these quesstions is I have heard from people at a local reptile swap that some of the morphs with rat blood tend to be more aggresive I'm not sure if that's true or not, I have kept other reptiles and would now like to keep a corn snake so I really am looking for a docile specimen( I know it depends on each snake and such) but I somehow get the feeling a pure corn would be better than a corn/rat mix am I wrong?

Yes some corn/rat hybrids can have temperment issues. Those are mainly the ones crossed to black rats or Texas rats or other rats known to have temperment issues but this in no way means that all hybrids from these crosses will have the same problems.

Also note that not all frosted corns are hybrids. Some are pure corns, so ask the breeder exactly what his/hers is.

Yes, each breeder's bloodlines may be different than other breeders, so you have to ask. And of course, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a smidgen of emoryi blood in many lines that people have no idea of, but it is probably too small of an amount to make any difference in most cases.

I did have some creamsicle blood in a few candycanes back in the early '90s. Most of those animals are gone, or have been mixed with pure corns enough that they are "virtually" pure corns now. But I lost some records (around '92 - '94 If I remember correctly) when some of our Glades Herp employees were caring for the colony. So I can't say with certainty whether or not some of my candycanes still have a tiny bit of creamsicle in them. So, although I don't think it makes any difference in any practical way, I will leave the part about creamsicles in my website description of them so that those who are vehemently opposed to "tainted" blood will know that they may only be 99.something % pure, or something along that line.

The same thing goes for my crimsons, BTW. I got my original pair from Frank Pinello, and he told me there was some emoryi in their background. I can't tell that by looking at them, but that is what he said, so I pass it on to my customers.

Billybobob said:
Yes some corn/rat hybrids can have temperment issues. Those are mainly the ones crossed to black rats or Texas rats or other rats known to have temperment issues but this in no way means that all hybrids from these crosses will have the same problems.

And just to add to that, some corn morphs seem to have more 'fire in their bellies' than others, for example sunkisseds have a reputation for being fiesty & butters for being docile..Although that can't be said for every snake in those groups...... :)

Emoryi tend to have about the same temperment as corns to a cross between the two would most likly have no temperment issues.

Back