• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

2 Yr. Old - How often to feed?

nytesong

I have a 2 y.o. normal corn, she is currently being fed about every 10 days, a 30 to 35 gm. baby rat, frozen. She seems to be fine with this, but is it too often? I need to find out how often. I also need to know how much she should eat in gms. I am unsure of all of this.
Thanks for your help
Helaine:dunce:

I have an '07 Corn who is being fed weaned mice every 7 days. He's right at 200 grams, so he'll be getting adults pretty soon. (He was also on the maintenance diet for the first year or so of his life.)
Something that I recommend as a guide (you don't have to live by it - it's a good guide to go by, though) is the Munson Plan. That's pretty much what I go by, but I don't follow it to a T. If you don't have a scale, you can find digital scales all over - even at your local Wal-Mart. (Just make sure it measures in grams instead of ounces! :))
I hope this helps! :)

Here is a copy of the Munson Plan. Check it out.

-When they're on single pinks (2-3g), I feed every 5-6 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
-Double pinks (3g x 2) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
-Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 6-7 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
-Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 30-50g)
-Hoppers (9-12g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 51-90g)
-Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
-Adult (20-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+) See below.

Note: Adult females are fed more frequently than adult males (especially following brumation). Adult females are fed every 7-12 days; adult males are fed every 11-14 days.

This is by no means scientific, and not all corns will cooperate 100% with the schedule. The weight ranges I gave for the prey and snakes are approximate.

The original thread can be found here.

Hope this helps!

My boy is just slightly over 2 years, I'm not sure if hes "big" or "small" for his age but he gets fuzzys every sunday. I dont feed him rats just mice, he never really had a taste for mice.
But really it just depends on your snakes size, some 2 year olds are different sizes then others, therefore the diets would be different.

My boy is just slightly over 2 years, I'm not sure if hes "big" or "small" for his age but he gets fuzzys every sunday. I dont feed him rats just mice, he never really had a taste for mice.
But really it just depends on your snakes size, some 2 year olds are different sizes then others, therefore the diets would be different.

Woops meant to say he never really had a taste for rats LOL.

Ok, I guess I put that first post badly. I apologize. I have been following the Munson plan since she was small. My problem is this....she weighs about 320 gms. and the plan only goes up to 170 gms. then states the little blip about adults. So, I feed her every 10 to 12 days, but still only 30 gms? It seems that somewhere I read that they should eat about the same width as the widest part of their bodies. So, that for me is the baby rats. Besides, my son is a rat breeder and I get free food, lol. But, what happens when they get even larger? Still the 30 gms? I can't imagine a snake being satisfied on that at a full grown weight. Anyway, thanks so much, I really appreciate the input you all gave. I love coming here cuz even when I've not been here in awhile, I can always count on good advice!
Helaine

somewhere I read that they should eat about the same width as the widest part of their bodies

That should actually be "one and a half times the width of their body", and that's for Corns that are still growing. Once they reach adult size, then adult mice will be appropriate. The issue is knowing when they've reached adult size - it's usually about 3 years of age, but it can vary depending on genetics, feeding regime etc.

320g is a respectable adult weight.

Rats are higher in fat than mice, so most people choose to feed mice where possible. Just means that you're less likely to end up with an overweight Corn or one that develops "lovehandles" (and that does happen!).

Also, bear in mind that you're not feeding to "satisfy" the snake - the Corn will always be on the lookout for more food, because that's what its instinct tells it to do. You have to feed it a sensible amount of an appropriate food item, at a proper interval, to keep it healthy i.e. not overweight or underweight. One 30g mouse every 1-2 weeks will be absolutely fine.

Back