• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

2007 amel hatclings - cubed?

batmand

Hi..
I just hatched these amels, they come from a amel motley x amel stripe breeding..

DSCF0394.jpg

This one is different than the others in the clutch, so I was wondering if it is a cubed amel??

I don't know that I'd call it just a Cubed Amel...Maybe Cubed Amel Motley het Stripe (or Cubed Amel Motley-Stripe or Cubed Amel MotleyxStripe...Whatever)...

I've produced Cubed Amel without using Motley, those I was calling Cubed Amel Stripe.

Nice looker, but I wouldn't call it cubed. I think the standards for line-bred looks need to stay fairly strict, otherwise they just become meaningless.

Duff said:
Nice looker, but I wouldn't call it cubed. I think the standards for line-bred looks need to stay fairly strict, otherwise they just become meaningless.

Since when is 'cubed' a line bred look?

Duff said:
It's a specific motley look, not a separate gene.

Actually it's a variation of the STRIPE gene, not the motley gene. And I wouldn't consider it to be a line bred look, either.

I thought 'cube' was a sort of random variation, similar to aztec in that it doesn't follow simple inheritence?

Joe's 100% correct...Cubed is from Stripe...In a clutch of 10 Amel Stripes last season (and neither parent was Cubed, nor were they related) I had two Cubes pop out unexpectedly.

I don't think it's a single gene that causes Cube, I think it's just a variation that pops up (just like you can get perfectly spotted Motleys or stripe looking Motleys).

Ok.. I have check all the hatclings one more time and it turns out that 5 off them is stripe/cubed :) If I keep a pair and breed them together what would the outcome be? Just stripes, or stripes and motleys? Their father is a amel motley..

I bred a Striped Ghost male to two unrelated normals het for Anery, Amel, Hypo, and Stripe. I got two Cubed normals, a Cubed Hypo, and a Cubed Ghost. The Ghost didn't have your typical uniform cubes going down the back. The markings were a little like bowties and the belly was pure white. I'm calling it a Cubed corn for lack of a better way to describe it I guess. It's definitely not a Motley.

That one looks like a classic amel cubed from a striped line.
But i do think that you can produce cubed from motleys, take a look at this guy. Mum was an amel cubed/sunspot (striped line) & dad was a butter motley so he should be an amel mot but has the cubed/sunspot markings.What do you think?.....
Sorry for hijacking batmand...

Attachments

• keeper.jpg
    keeper.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 56
All of the offspring are Motley-Stripe (or Motley het Stripe or Motley/Stripe ~ However you want to put it)...This means they are carrying one Allele for Motley & one Allele for Stripe...The Stripe is what is bringing out the Cube (in your example too, bribrian ~ one of the parents is a Stripe ~ however that particular hatchling you posted looks like a Banded Motley to me, not a Cubed)...

So, to answer your question, batmand by crossing siblings from your pairing...You would get Motley, Stripe & Motley-Stripe offspring.

blckkat said:
All of the offspring are Motley-Stripe (or Motley het Stripe or Motley/Stripe ~ However you want to put it)...This means they are carrying one Allele for Motley & one Allele for Stripe...The Stripe is what is bringing out the Cube (in your example too, bribrian ~ one of the parents is a Stripe ~ however that particular hatchling you posted looks like a Banded Motley to me, not a Cubed)...
Yep all offspring in my case would be mot het stripe (as i like to say) & that would make sense with the stripe playing it's part. The only thing i can say about it being a banded mot is that i've never seen banding so wide/far apart & the saddles on banded mots are usually elongated down the side whereas in this one it isn't....

It's really difficult for me to explain, more of something you identify through experience. To me, there is an obvious difference between your snake and the first one pictured.

I also found my picture of my Amel Stripe clutch from last year that popped out two Cubes.

Attachments

• possiblecubed.jpg
    possiblecubed.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 35
Back