• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

A box for burrowing

proileri

Anyone use a box filled with substrate, so the snake can burrow a bit deeper? Are there any pros/cons to it?

My logic here is that burrowing behaviour seems to be natural for corn snakes, but if you lay a thick layer of bedding, it might be hard to find the poop. A burrowing box would allow the snake to dig in, and the bedding is easy to empty every now and then, if there's poop in it.

A quick test with a small bowl, seems to be interesting enough. She can barely fit into it, so I might replace it with a wider one. The wooden part is a platform hide, the bowl is not connected to it.

nuppu-burrowing.jpg

I tried to have a potted plant with one of my snakes. I made sure to use completely natural soil with no chemicals or anything. He loved burrowing into it. He unfortunately uprooted the plant, but he just loved hiding in the dirt. It was kind of a pain to get him out of it, but he did enjoy it.

I have a couple of moms who like their lay boxes so much I just left those in. Kind of along the same lines.

I use a lot of aspen in my vivs and make piles in places so it is deeper in certain areas. I haven't noticed them enjoying them better than the thinner layers, so I don't think it matters.

Like Nanci said, they prefer boxes or hides to burrowing, I think.

I use a lot of aspen in my vivs and make piles in places so it is deeper in certain areas. I haven't noticed them enjoying them better than the thinner layers, so I don't think it matters.

Like Nanci said, they prefer boxes or hides to burrowing, I think.

Yep, mine likes to put her nose into the box and dig around when she's active, but she usually hides somewhere else. The digging box seems to be visited on regular basis, though.

I need to try that! I have a thick layer of bedding and mine just loves going to the bottom on the warm side. Had to turn down to 84 -.-

I have a small dog bowl with moss in it that my snakes LOVE. I let it stay dry 99% of the time unless I know they are about to shed and then I just add maybe a teaspoon worth of water for added moisture. By the time they shed it has gotten pretty dry again and they LOVE to bury themselves in it, more than most of the hides even.

One of my snakes gets to keep her box of moss all the time because she has bad sheds when she doesn't have it in there. I don't get it, all the other snakes kept in identical conditions shed just fine, but she will get horribly dehydrated looking and have flaky sheds if she doesn't have her damp hide. It's a really old retired breeder snake so maybe that's why. Whatever, Ms. Diva gets what she wants.

Back