• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

A concern or not

newt

Canadian Breeder of Corns
Hey everybody, just a question I need answered. Im sure its been asked before I just dont want to go looking.
I got a striped corn a couple of weeks ago and had it in a 20 gallon for observation. Its doing really well and tonight I decided to introduce it with my male snow, my plan was to breed them in the spring. Now when I put it(arizona) in with my male(cornelius), cornelius retreated into his hide. A couple of minutes later he came out and was very active, more active then Iv ever seen him. It looked like he was trying to pin arizona to the ground, what is will that?
So I came to the conclusion that arizona is a male, and what I saw was a domination display. Or was it? :shrugs:

thanks for any help on this
Andrew

The only way to know for sure is to have them both probe. Also, I'm not sure if I'm right but I think you're suppose to put the male in with the female. Not the other way around. I think in the wild the male will travel to the females territory to do the mating. Not totally sure though.

Are you sure he wasn't attempting to breed? If you're not planning on breeding them now, they should be left apart. My male is in full breeding mode right now, but unfortunately, I don't have a female that's large enough to breed yet. My older okeetee is still to light in weight to breed. Poor C.S.

newt said:
I got a striped corn a couple of weeks ago and had it in a 20 gallon for observation. Its doing really well and tonight I decided to introduce it with my male snow, my plan was to breed them in the spring.

Newt, as an aside, it is always wise to quarantine snakes for longer than a couple of weeks, even if they seem very healthy. Some diseases and infections take longer to show up than others and you don't want to risk the health of your whole collection. I quarantine mine for 90 days and 3 fecals before introducing them to any of the main collection.

Ditto the quarantine sentiment. For the record, it doesn't seem to matter which sex is introduced to the other!

90 days

Skye said:
Newt, as an aside, it is always wise to quarantine snakes for longer than a couple of weeks, even if they seem very healthy. Some diseases and infections take longer to show up than others and you don't want to risk the health of your whole collection. I quarantine mine for 90 days and 3 fecals before introducing them to any of the main collection.
Skye Iv had the striped in quarantine for atleast 90 days or more. When I said a couple of weeks I ment 6-7 weeks. I know were the snake came from and it was breed locally so there is no worries about it not being healthy. I already know that my snow is a male, last night I saw it breeding with my female normal motley. The striped is unsexed but how can you tell if you dont probe it?

look at the vent. No offense, but you need to do your homework, Newt. I'd suggest getting a copy of the cornsnake manual for starters.

newt said:
in quarantine for atleast 90 days or more...a couple of weeks I ment 6-7 weeks.

Sorry to nitpick...but 6-7 weeks is 42-49 days...not 90 or more...
It is still longer than I quarantine...

At least 4 feedings...about 5 weeks...is all I quarantine...depending on where I got the snake...

I get most of mine from people that I know...and trust. If they had a problem with their collection...I would have known about it when it was found...whether I was purchasing the animal or recently acquired it...
Any animals I get from an unknown source get a little over a month...

Looking at tail length doesn't always do the job. I bright lighted my amel when he was small, and the breeder and I both thought that the tail and the lack of anything to see by the vent pointed to a female. Low and behold, a year later, my amel goes of food, and starts cruising around. The breeder probed him for me this time, and sure enough, he's a male. You can't always tell by the tail.

It isn't just length...but the shape of the tail section from the vent back...
It definitely is NOT 100% accurate...but with some practice can be a fairly reliable method...

elrojo said:
look at the vent. No offense, but you need to do your homework, Newt. I'd suggest getting a copy of the cornsnake manual for starters.
Just to let you know Elrojo, I do have the "corn snake manuel" by kathy love, and every corn snake is different. When I started breeding 5 yrs ago I bought it and study it. I know that a females tail tappers more quickly then a males. But with some corns iv seen you cant tell that way, depending on the breed of snake. What im going to do is send a pic of my striped corn to kathy love so she could tell me. Thanks for all your help though.

Back