• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

A couple more questions

testdasi

Are corn snakes becoming less active as they get older?
I put up my night vision camera last night again and the bigger snake spent barely 45 minutes exploring while the smaller ones were constanly pacing around.

Previously when I only have 1 snake, my digital thermometer reads 89-ish (probe on top of 1cm substrate) while I set the stat at 84 (probe on <0.5cm substrate) and the snake prefered the cool side.
Now I have 3 snakes, the same therm reads 84-ish (probe inside the hide, on top of floor) while I set the stat at 88 (probe on top of floor) and the snakes prefer the warm side.
Should I be concerned or change anything?

I think generally yes, Corns slow down as they grow, although yet again, it can be down to the individual Corn.

My 22 year old has certainly become a lot more "sedate" over the past five years. He used to be quite active for a Corn in his younger days. However,he now prefers to nap under his favourite hide most of the time and only comes out for a look round if he thinks that food is about to arrive!

84 is fine for the warm side - always trust the reading from the thermometer rather than the stat. Just as a double-check, the cool side needs to be in the low-mid 70s to allow them to thermoregulate properly. Corns can become over-active if temps are too high.

I have a lazy '09 snow who'd never exercise without my intervention. This guy will go from warm side to cool and that's it, I'll take him out and wear him around my neck for an hour a day when he's not digesting or blue and even then I need to prod him a bit to keep him moving. In contrast, I have an '09 anery that I only hold twice a week, because she tears up her tank, swims in the dish, and swings from the vine.

Back