• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

A couple of pics of my first snake eating a pinkie

PhilD

Here are a few pics of my new snake, which was sold to me as a hypomelanistic, but which someone commented might just be a normal (your thoughts welcome). Anyway, these are at feeding time because that's the only time where he stays still long enough for me to photograph him.

The pics are a little dark, sorry about that, I'm still learning to use my digital camera.

Attachments

• eating_pinkie_640.jpg
    eating_pinkie_640.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 126
And sprawled out for scale. To me he seems a little thin compared to some of the pics I have seen on here, but he certainly has a good appetite, he polishes off 2 pinkies with no worries. He is about 6 months old.

Attachments

• sprawled_out_640.jpg
    sprawled_out_640.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 126
Nice looking little one you have. Feeding is always a good way to get them to hold still:)

I wouldn't worry about size and weight if he's eating well on a good schedule. They grow at different rates. He looks fine to me.

Thanks Alicia. Certainly no probs feeding. When he ate the second one today it took him about 5 seconds - he picked it up off the floor, reared his front up at about 45 degrees, and swallowed it in mid-air! Mind you, it was a small one.

Just showing off, I reckon.

You may want to consider feeding larger food items. Most 6 month old corns are at least on fuzzies. Your snake looks like he could handle a fuzzy quite well.

As for whether he is hypo or not...where did you get him? A reputable breeder? A pet store?

The only way to be certain whether he is truly hypo is by doing breeding trials when he is grown. Unfortunately, this is a bit harder with hypos because there is more than one type of hypo gene out floating around out there.

I lightened your pictures for you so that everyone can see him better.
eating_pinkie_640.jpg

sprawled_out_640.jpg

ewwww, the pinkie is missing an arm lol. I wonder where it is.....

I have also noticed that in my freezer the mice's bones can break because of the cold, and their tail might fall off. I'm not sure if this picture shows a good one or not.

This is my feeding picture. I took it yesterday and don't really want to start a whole new thread so you can look at her here :rolleyes: ;) This guy eats two every 5 days and is 10 months old.

Sometimes he even eats three :eek:

CornCrazy said:
You may want to consider feeding larger food items. Most 6 month old corns are at least on fuzzies. Your snake looks like he could handle a fuzzy quite well.

As for whether he is hypo or not...where did you get him? A reputable breeder? A pet store?

The only way to be certain whether he is truly hypo is by doing breeding trials when he is grown. Unfortunately, this is a bit harder with hypos because there is more than one type of hypo gene out floating around out there.

I lightened your pictures for you so that everyone can see him better.
Thanks Terri!

I got him from a petshop, so I don't know his parentage. I only have a couple of pinkies left from the initial batch, so I'll move him up to a fuzzy after that.

How did you do the lightening? I was messing around in Photoshop trying to do this, but everything I tried just made it look washed out or over-exposed.

Since he came from a pet store, I would venture to say that he very well could be a normal. I would be hesitant to call him a hypo without doing breeding trials later on. If you don't plan on ever breeding him, then it really doesn't matter if he is hypo or not...you got him (or her) because you liked him.

As for changing the picture, I simply increased the brightness. I used PhotoStudio 2000 SE.

Back