• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

A few Questions

muffinman206

Right now I have a bout a 4-5 month old ghost corn snake. He seems to be pretty skinny so i was wondering if I should feed him 2 at once? I'm currently feeding him 1 fuzzy every 5-7 days. Also, when he gets big enough for mice that will actually be able to move, should I keep using live? or should I switch to dead? Right now I feed him in a spare 10 gallon tank which he seems to do fine in. I have read so many guides on feeding and such but everything says something different, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Corns, to me, are a skinny snake compare to boa's and such so it's I don't think you need to feed two fuzzy's. But I could be wrong because I don't the size of your snake. The general rule for feeding size to snake size is.....
Feed the snake an food item that is 1 1/2 time the snake girth. So you have to compare the snake to the mouse. As far as feed live, I wouldn't feed hopper live. You should switch to frozen/thaw or pre-kill because of the injures a mouse can inflick on a snake and f/t are parasites free. Feeding in a separate container is good and feeding timetable is fine too.

Good Luck :cheers:

Lenny, "f/t parasite free", really I have fed live/stunned to my oldest for 3+ years, does this mean he could have worms??? How would I know??? susan

susang said:
Lenny, "f/t parasite free", really I have fed live/stunned to my oldest for 3+ years, does this mean he could have worms??? How would I know??? susan

Sorry, but I have no idea about the make-up of mice. I just been told by the experienced keepers here that freezing will kill bacteria or parasites from contaminated live mice. But this is when you unknown suppler, say new pets store. But even the chance of bites from live mice steered me to f/t mice.

Sorry, what I mean is how would I know if my snake is wormy, just got a little concerned. As a newbie things like the thought of parasites frighten me. thanks for your help, susan

A fecal sample taken to your vet would tell you, if you're worried. Generally the tests run cost under $20, and can give you a lot of peace of mind if it's a new snake or one that shows symptoms of having parasites.

Back