• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

A fuzzy or two pinkies??

gigergal

Another question (I know I keeasking 'em but bear with me). I was told (by the breeder I got him off) that my largest corn was eating a fuzzy. He certainly looks as though he could eat a fuzz. He is about 15 inches long and 7 months old. His girth is about the same circumference as my thumb (I know that doesn't tell you much though). But I'm having doubts about what this breeder told me...after all he said corns could cohabit quite happily and were NEVER cannibalistic (hmmm!). I thought I might try him on 2 pinkies first, if he could down them quite happily them I could try him on a fuzzie. I just didn't want to force Socrates to eat something that was too big for him. The breeder did say he'd been feeding on fuzzies but then said the other one I bought (much thinner than Soc and only 6 months old) could eat a fuzz as well. I don't agree with this as Scooby's girth is a lot smaller.

Shall I go for a fuzz for Socrates straight off or should I try two pinkies first?

It's their first feeding day tomorrow since I got them home and I'm really nervous but trying not to be for the snakes sake. I really hope they don't regurge or refuse their food.

Added to all this they still have mites. I've used MITE-OFF and have yet to do the 2nd and 3rd treatments. On another thread it was suggested to me that I do the 2nd treatment tomorrow (which is the right day) and feed them afterwards, then leave 'em alone for 4 days when I sould then do the final treatment. I'm wondering if MITE-OFF is any good since it doesn't seem to have got rid of the mites. Would human head lice solution work?

Sorry this is another long-winded post. I'd appreciate your help though.

Thank you

gigergal

I have read where some people have used Nix. They diluted it, but I can't remember how diluted. I'm sure if you did a search you could find the threads. Hope this helps you some.

Thanks Snakemom, I've just read the thread.

Nix isn't available in England (I don't think) but it contains Permethrin which is contained in Lyclear, which is available in the UK as a head lice solution. I did a search and found a site on insecticides. It stated that Permethrin is only toxic to fish and bees - so should be safe for our slinkies.

Can anyone help me on the feeding issue though?

Thanks again

gigergal

I would say be safe and go with two pinkies for the first feed. If he doesn't have a noticeable lump then just go up with the fuzzy. Are you feeding your snake live or F/T? Just do the two pinkies first then decide to move up to fuzzy. (as I said before)

I'm not saying you have to feed f/t, I feed live myself. It's just when I move up one size I feed her f/t just to make sure. Don't want it nipping her. You can feed live pinkies if you want. Just feed f/t fuzzy if you're going to do so.

I can't get my hands on live food very easily here. It seems to be frowned upon in England, although I know people who do. These two snakes have been fed f/t from the beginning.

I'm pretty certain that here in the UK it's illegal to feed live rodents to snakes. Before our corn was ready to take fuzzies we just gradually increased the quantity of pinkies fed at a time (dependant on size of pinkies), until he was big enough to cope with a fuzzy.

I only feed thawed frozen to my snake. I would not trust feeding live...but that's just my little ole' opinion. There are tons of opinions out there and that's just mine. :0)

As for feeding pinks over fuzzies, if your snake is definitely the girth of your thumb, it should have no problems taking a fuzzy.

I was the paranoid Mom and always fed smaller prey to begin with until I was certain it was safe to move up to the next size.

As the others mentioned, if you don't see a visible hump with a pinky mouse for one to two days after feeding, move up to the next size.

Good luck!

Thank you for your input, it's much appreciated. I think I'm going to try two pinks for Socrates first, just to be sure. I know the guy told me he was eating a fuzz but now I don't rate this guys advice at all (not after coming here). I can always do a fuzz next time if everything goes all right.

On the mite front - the MITE-OFF doesn't seem to have worked at all. I did a search for the active ingredient and found it's actually a food additive, not an insecticide at all. So how on earth is it going to kill mites then?????

I'm going to try the diluted Nix method, only in this case it will be Lyclear I'm using (Nix not available in UK but the active ingredient is the same). These mites are really p***ing me off. I hate to see them crawling all over the snakes.

gigergal

Back