• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

A hatchling death warning corpse pictures

Jase&Sarah

Mother and Father of Eva
Today when I returned from work I witnessed the body of my hatchling snow corn. I have only had her for about one month, not even that. She accepted her first meal, regurged the second, accepted the third and the forth is unknown since she died before anything could be examined. Eva was purchased from Petco and I have to say I am not impressed. She was checked by the my vet three days after purchase, as was her droppings, and given a clean bill of health. However there must have been something wrong. For once I am pretty sure it was not me. As you can see she was of small size and never gained any weight. I thought it sounded like parasites and/or worms, but the vet ensured me she was fine.

My next corn will have paper towel, or repticarpet substrate so I can easily examine it. while I do not believe the aspen was to blame of course I never really liked the lack of ability to properly examine her droppings or anything.

I have attached her body pics. there is a weird black mark on her bottom but I think it is due to the death.

Sorry to upset anyone, I am just really depressed right now.

Glass aquarirum,
glass temp about 86.7
substrate at about 79/80.
Aspen
I attached some pictures also

HPIM1997.jpg

HPIM1994.jpg

HPIM1993.jpg

Again these photos are for help and support not to be disturbing or ridiculed.

I am sorry for your loss. the "black" or Green spot you see is where the gall bladder releases when the snakes die and is normal to see in a snake that has passed away. Many of us have experienced unexplained death in our exotic animals and its never an easy thing to deal with. Please know our condolences extend to you.

Thank you

Thank you I really appreciate everything and I'm sure Eva would also.

and may I add that my vet just called and has given me the results of her last feces test and it has come out negative on worms/parasites.

It sounds like she must have had a genetic defect with one of her organs then. she certainly was a tiny little thing. You had a nice set up going for her. I hope you offer another snake a home in it and try again.

planning on it

I am planning to. I cannot bare to see her cage empty and have already cleaned it, put down some paper towels and have it set up again. Too depressing as it was. Hopefully things work out a little better next go around as I really was shocked with this.

I'm so sorry for your loss. She was a beautiful little girl, and I'm sure you gave her a really good home from what I could see. But like Dawn said, I too hope you don't give up and that you can provide the same loving home to another baby. Keep your head up.

Larger UTh also

The setup I had was orginally one of those PEtco snake prefabs jobs. Even thought he little zoo-med UTH said from 10-20 Gallons I really think it looks to small for the tank. I think I am going to upgrade this while I am at it.

Just as an opinion here....

But I personally don't believe that 79/80 for a hot spot is ideal for hatchlings. I much prefer to have that temperature be at least a few degrees higher (84-85).

Very sorry for your loss. You might want to try a reputable breeder for your next snake. You might pay a little more if you have to get it shipped or something, but it's worth having the healthy snake in the end.

Sorry for your loss. She was cute. Best of luck with your new one. Don't let Eve's death put you off of corn snakes. Unfortunaly, everything living has to pass on, some after many years, some soon after birth.

Joejr14 said:
Just as an opinion here....

But I personally don't believe that 79/80 for a hot spot is ideal for hatchlings. I much prefer to have that temperature be at least a few degrees higher (84-85).

Joe, the snake had the option to burry and be warmer. The OP did say the glass temperature was 86 :rolleyes:

Sorry for your loss, I too lost a little snow corn last year. Some just are not meant to make it.

I know that you hurt but dont kick your self in the ass. S*** happens . Any animal that has that many babies like a corn, not all are going to make it to adult hood . I'm sorry for your loss.

#1 wash everything with soap and water, wash all the inteiror orniments too and then in a 25 % bleach solution let it soak for 2 hourd this will break down any organic materal missed in the washing . If you cant soak it then make sure it stays wet. Next rinse off thoughly everything . take a 25% vinginer sol. and wipe down everything and rinse off in one or two min. This will nutralise any bleach. Next DONT go to the pet store . Dont get it off a show unless you get a phone# of the breeder and it is a short drive away from you or you can get one from this site I'm sure with all the members someone lives near you Then you dont have to go to a vet either. GOOD LUCK!!! :)

Corns don't like it hot. the temps are fine I keep mine at room temps all year long. they do fine at 70% no problems with regurge. It is only when you power feed do you need the higher temps. This speeds up the metabolism and they crap out the meal without properly digesting it. The longer it that to process the meal the more nutrition they get out of the meal. 80 is ideal

I'm sorry to hear about you snake I had a snow like that pass away due to it not eating at all when I bought it. I notice your from WV what part?

Hi there

I am from the Eastern Panhandle (Berkeley County).

Also I now have purchased two new corns from a private breeder in the area. Since I am colorblind I will have to wait to post pics. To me they have beautiful colors but hey to me a lot of things look a little...... different lol.

It's amazing the health difference from the get go with these hatchlings.

That always makes a lot of difference with all things. Eve probably did not have a chance with all of your good care if there was something wrong with her from birth.

Post those photos when you get a chance.

yeah some of them just aren't ment to live, had that happen to one the place I bought it from didn''t tell me it was a non feeder.

Back