• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

A little bit of retained tail tip

Senusenu

20140309_000440_zpsavwyzsv4.jpg

20140309_000414_zpsum7piwf6.jpg

20140309_000359_zpsyyz70zim.jpg

I took bout 12 photos and these came out the clearest, and he was wanting to explore so getting more was difficult. I used a damp cloth and gentle rubbing with a wet finger to coax off the little bit of skin, and as I did so, it turned red as in the photo- it was more whitish before. I did not see any black, so I don't think it's too late for the tip to heal. It wasn't noticeable before his growth spurt the last month or so, but I'll be keeping a close eye on it. I see in the photo what might be a tiny bit of skin, or possibly an upturned scale, but he looks to be in blue, and tonight was feeding night, so I'm going to let him be for a few days, then do another dampt cloth/soak.

Just looking for any second opinions on the tail :)

Hmm, looks like the actual scales got stripped off (degloved). I would just keep the area clean. It should heal.

I agree- I think he lost actual scales there. I wouldn't do anything else- maybe a dab of antibiotic ointment.

Ok, I will be very careful with him. It was definitely retained shed, the tip was noticeably thinner and strangled looking, and it came loser as he went through the washcloth, then turned inside out like shed does until it finally released from the tail. Is it possible it was just that stuck to the scales below? I made sure not to pull anything, just rubbing with very light pressure as it started to roll backward.

I think if it was "noticeably thinner and strangled looking" then it is likely the shed had been retained long enough that the tail was already damaged beneath, and no matter what you did, there was going to be damage. Basically, it was already there and you just uncovered it.

It looks pretty minor, though, so it should heal ok.

I think if it was "noticeably thinner and strangled looking" then it is likely the shed had been retained long enough that the tail was already damaged beneath, and no matter what you did, there was going to be damage. Basically, it was already there and you just uncovered it.

It looks pretty minor, though, so it should heal ok.

I agree, it looks like an older wound that just got uncovered by the look of the size and that the scales are missing. Just leave it be, it may fall off or may just heal looking like it does now. As long as he is feeling okay and eating and drinking fine I would just keep an eye on it and let nature do its thing.

Back