• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

A (LONG) rant and karma

Kitty

You rang?
Husband has a reptile removal service/rescue he does on the side. He managed to find (through that unmentionable site) a woman claiming to run a rescue/sanctuary in our area. My suspicions were aroused when we found she actually lives four hours' drive from here, but ... whatever.

Last week, we found out the local animal shelter had a snake. They were looking for someone to take it off their hands. A mutual friend stopped by and identified a cornsnake. Both Husband and sanctuary-woman found out about it around the same time. The afternoon we learned about it, I went to get the snake. The shelter admin lady couldn't help me fast enough after I told her I was there for the snake.

Yup, cornsnake. About three feet long, in a ten-gallon tank with towels over the top, sitting in a 95* garage. There was a small, live mouse in the tank with it. At least the water bowl was full and there was care-fresh for it to hide under.

The next day, sanctuary-woman calls and, in no uncertain terms, tells Husband he is stepping on her toes because the town doesn't need two reptile rescues and she was there first. She's already made all the contacts and people know her name (which, of course, explains the blank looks we get when she's mentioned). Husband is a little hurt by this because he genuinely liked this woman. I was so fried, I could have cleaned her clock (well, maybe not really. She does have a good 50 lbs. on me).

Why fried? ... Because:

* Husband helped her with a caimen rescue. He wrestled it out of the garbage can it was brought in, taped its jaws so it couldn't bite, and calmed it down before getting it into her car. No reward necessary. The animal is better off. Oh, but wait! A month later, we find out she traded this caimen to some guy for a pair of hard-to-find bearded dragon morphs that turned out not to be what she expected. So, she's suing the guy for breach of contract. ... But, hey! It's all about saving the reptiles, right?

* Husband removed a gravid bullsnake from someone's property. She asked for it. He turned it over to her. He has offered her the most recently removed bullsnake we have and won't renege on his offer. But I'll release it on someone's ranch before I turn it over to her. That's a moot threat right now, because as soon as she found out it was not male and not gravid, she lost interest.

* She's the one with whom we placed the Eastern racer we rescued last fall.

* She's the recipient of the Terrestrial Garter we saved this spring.

* Depending on which story you get, she either doesn't like corns because they always bite her; or she doesn't raise corns because she didn't want to offend the local herp society's organizer. Take your pick.

Okay, rant over. Where's the karma?

I told Husband to stay professional and genuine. The one truly concerned about the animals becomes obvious; and the animals are the winners. Well, it happened. Husband went to the animal shelter this afternoon to give them feedback about the corn. It seems just before she called Husband and accused him of ... omg, competing with her! ... she had called the shelter to verify we had picked the snake up.

According to the employees, she used profanities and told them she was the only reptile handler with whom they were contracted. ... Odd, the shelter supervisor told us they don't contract removal services of any kind because it would cost the city money. But if someone is willing to remove reptiles and not charge the city or the homeowner for their service, he has no problem.

How 'bout that? She's shown herself as a money-grubber who's mad at the world because she can't maintain her monopoly.

What? The bullsnake and the cornsnake? Elizabeth and Magnus are doing well in their 30-day quarantines - eating mice, 'suffering' through regular handling, and being fussed over like the rest of our collection. I'm hoping to get pictures of everyone up, but I go on a four-week work assignment out-of-town Monday. Photographing the zoo requires both of us to wrangle critters. 'Sides, Magnus is all itchy-opaque right now, so he isn't pretty and is a bit 'tetchy.'

If you've stuck around this long ... thanks. This was making me crazy the last couple of days. I guess I needed to get it off my chest.

Joejr14 said:
What's this woman's email address?
And any other info you might have on her. It's quite obvious that she also breeds and sells reptiles, especially if she gets them for free. Some negative feedback from the reptile world seems to be in order. And if she loses a few sales...oh well!

It's so sad when people masquerade as "reptile rescues" just to get free herps or make money. Sometimes on other forums I see people advertise themselves as rescue centres, high-end morphs only type thing. It's stupid, because it's so blatantly obvious.

It really detracts from people like your husband who do it for the right reasons.

Hannah

Surely the fact that she 'traded' the caiman for beardies smells bad..........if she'd traded it to a zoo for a freezer full of mice, I'd have understood, what a cheapo operator she sounds. Luck to you and your Husband, sounds like you've got your priorities right anyway

Wow. I really appreciate the support you guys showed. It just blows me away (in a good way :) ).

Her info (Google is a wonderful thing): http://www.geocities.com/kasharr_5/kasharr_5.html?1123215848012
email: [email protected]

Believe it or not, I don't wish her ill. I believe everyone makes their decisions and lives with their own conscience. Husband and I do the reptile rescue because we have the ability and desire to help (by the way, he's Gator Hunter and pretty gosh-darned cute! :)

As for the reptiles we turned over to her, hindsight is 20-20. At least, she'll get no more from us.

Now Kitty, you can't tell us you've got a cute gator hunter and not show us his pic...............

Great work both of you! Actually, her trading animals off after rescue does not mean that they are going to a good home. If all she's interested in is breeding them or trading them for something she wants, she obviously does not have the animal's best interests in mind. Kudo's to you and hopefully she'll go away at some point. The animals she gets don't deserve what she gives them.

I'm laughing at the competition aspect.

There can be too many rescues?!??!!?!

Yeah, like there can be too many women's shelters, food banks, soup kitchens, foster parents...

Sadly, I know the type. What, it isn't normal to try to breed all the rescues and turn around and sell them???

-Carrie

MegF. said:
... Actually, her trading animals off after rescue does not mean that they are going to a good home. ...

Thanks for the kind words. :)

I agree totally. Part of the reason for my anger is because she asked guy to return the caimen because the beardies weren't what she expected; he told her he didn't have it any more because he'd already sold it! (of course, given her credibility, I'm not sure how much of that I believe.)

:flames: <bad guy "rescuers">

Strock said:
What, it isn't normal to try to breed all the rescues and turn around and sell them???

-Carrie

Ok maybe Im taking this the wrong way but let me first say that I am very happy to see people doing the rescues for the right reason. Now to my point is it wrong to breed an animal taken as an adoption or a rescue? Is it wrong later to part with that animal to a good home, whether it is for a monetary gain or not? Obviously this person in this thread is completly wrong and just looking for an easy free money maker and my point is not to defend her or offend Kitty. Just looking for opinions is all.

Josh Dahl

Back