• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

A New Guy With A Couple Q's

SubNoize

I purchased my first snake from Lost World Reptiles at the local Reptile Show over the weekend. Here is a couple pics of her:

snake2.jpg

l_ddecdc462eb2e8a32967ef0d65f2d832.jpg

I have her in a 10 gallon for now, but have a spare 55 that I would like to put her in. Should I wait until she is a bit bigger, or will this be okay to do now?

Which would be better, a UTH or a bask light? If a basking light is preferred, or also needed, what size will do the best job? I have done lots of reading this week on the care of corn snakes, and I have read LOTS of different ways. So, I have come here to get the help I need to provide the best care for my new snake.

I would also like to get some sort of climbing logs for her to climb on. Can someone provide me with some links where I can purchase some online? I have search some sites (Fosters and Smith, etc), but didn't really see anything worthwhile.

Thanks for any and all of the help you can provide!

Hello and welcome! :wavey:

Here's a very good thread with the basics on keeping your new snake. It should answer a lot of your questions.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28341

Your snake will be fine in a ten gallon tank. Give him lots of hides and maybe some silk plants to help him feel secure. Lots of people use paper towel or toilet paper tubes as hides for their little ones.

An under tank heat mat is preferred because corn snakes require belly heat for digestion. Definitely use one with a thermostat or rheostat and a probe thermometer to prevent overheating.

Nice pics! Is that your daughter? She's got a real mass of curls, doesn't she? Adorable!

Thanks for the link to that thread. I have it printing out now so I can give it a read through.

And yes, that is my 3 year old daughter.

Can someone provide me with some links where I can get some decent wood/climbing logs for my snake?

You can get it at most of the larger chain pet stores like Petsmart or Petco. It's pretty pricey, though. I know you have lots and lots of wood in your state! You can get some nice wood on the ground or from your own trees if you have any. Just stay away from pine, cedar. Oak, fruit trees, locust, maples....find some nice pieces, bake them in the oven at 200F for about 45 minutes to kill off any bugs or eggs, molds, etc. and put them in your viv. There's a thread here called "Show me your vivs" which has a lot of great photos to inspire your creativity. I can never find it though, so give me a sec to hunt it down....

Ive had good luck with finding my own driftwood type of stuff, boiling it or bleaching it then baking it dry in the oven works well.

If you don't have space/time to DIY, googling brought this one up:
http://www.adriftwood.com/

Or pretty much any local pet shop usually has some decent stuff at a not so decent price :D

Good looking snake! Gino's a great guy with nice animals. His music is fun, too.

I agree- stay in the ten gallon for 6 months to a year, or till you find another baby you have to have! Two or three hides, a couple vines suctioned to the sides and a bendable vine crumpled up and just draped along the back. You can cut those in half if it's too much. Babies love to climb!

again, thanks for all the help!

i have been to our local pet stores and the selections there are shotty at best. i dont mind paying for a nice piece of wood, but i want a BIG one!

Googling brings up a few places that sells what you want, just pick the closest one near you, shipping on that stuff must be awful. Either that, or find a local herp. society, or small non-chain pet shop, they may be able to hook you up. Or maybe a chain place can order bigger stuff? Ive never tried.

You're not likely to find something big at the pet stores, that's for sure. And you'll pay and arm, let and probably your adorable daughter for it as well. Check out ebay or www.aquabid.com and run some searches under "driftwood" or even just "wood" and you should find something nice. Most of my larger pieces for my tanks were found there, and it's much easier to find something for a viv because you don't need to water log it. There are quite a few great decorative wood places that sell on ebay, so I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Best of luck! :cheers:

Back