• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

A question of parentage

Mark Beverly

I recently had a clutch of eggs from my 2003 Serpenco caramel motley begin to hatch. During her breeding I made a small error and introduced her to a charcoal het for hypo and diffuse for one evening. The caramel motley female was also paired with a caramel motley male. This being my first year with babies, I foolishly thought I would be able to tell which male belonged to which hatchlings. The charcoal should have produced normals and the caramel motley produced caramel motleys. Well we all know how that goes. :crazy02:
anerymotcaramelmotnorm080806.jpg

Theory 1: The carcoal is het motley and the caramel motley female is het charcoal. There are no normal motleys so this theory seems less likely.

Theory 2: The caramel motley male and female are both het anery or charcoal and this is masking the caramel. This is a good possibility as both male and female are 2003 Serpenco caramel motleys.

Any other ideas, thoughts, or if you see holes in my thinking please let me know.

Thank you for reading ,
Mark Beverly

I would have to say that your second theory is probably the correct one and that both carmots are het anery or charcoal. Rich's hatchlings are notorious for surprises like that...unless you're hoping for it.

Mark Beverly said:
Theory 2: The caramel motley male and female are both het anery or charcoal and this is masking the caramel. This is a good possibility as both male and female are 2003 Serpenco caramel motleys.
Agreed, #2 sounds much more likely. Rich has stated that the anerys he hatched out of caramel motleys looked like typical anery motleys (at least as hatchlings) :wavey:

I'd guess # 2, but the snake to the far right appears to be a normal motley to me... :shrugs:

It's a given that there are two fathers. The charcoal fathered the normal (or motley) on the right, and the carmot fathered the carmots. :)

If #1 is true then the possibilities from that father are normals, motleys, charcoals, and charcoal motleys. (Odds are 25% for each type.)

(Also, looking at the pic again, the eyes and ground color scream "anery" too.)

Serpwidgets said:
It's a given that there are two fathers. The charcoal fathered the normal (or motley) on the right, and the carmot fathered the carmots. :)

If #1 is true then the possibilities from that father are normals, motleys, charcoals, and charcoal motleys. (Odds are 25% for each type.)

(Also, looking at the pic again, the eyes and ground color scream "anery" too.)

Yes, I agree that a normal Mot would prove there are two fathers at play and most likely the Anery (looks Anery to me too) is from the Caramel Motley male. However he stated above that there were no normal Motleys. I was just questioning this because the one on the right looks normal to me.

Thank you all very much for your responses. The 7 normals all have a very motley-ish dorsal pattern but they all have very dark, very normal belly checkers. The three "anery" motleys and the one caramel motley all have nice clean white bellies.

Back