• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

About to shed?

atomic peach

So it has been 30 days since my baby blood red's last shed and I noticed she hasn't been as active at night. I recently got a cat (it's my gf's) so it might just be that. I also noticed the snake's tail is looking a little fatty, exactly like it was before her last shed. Tonight would be her feeding night, but I am unsure if I should feed her as she regurged during her last shed. What should I do?

I've never had a corn regurge during a shed, nor their tail look fatty.

I'm suspecting there might other issues involved.

pardon me if you've described this elsewhere, but what is your setup like? Temps - what are they and how are the measured and controlled
Hides - how many and how big are they relative to the animal
Snake - how heavy, how old, how long, something to give us an idea of the animal

How often do you feed? What are you feeding? Prey weight, or at least some idea of size.

Are there other signs that your snake is in shed or near shed. Dull looking skin, blue-ish eyes, hiding more than usual, etc?

I have heard not to feed when they are in shed, because they might regurge. That is why I don't feed Rose Red (my blood red ;)) when she is in shed. The fat near the tail might be poop ready to come out. Many times when Rose Red is in shed she will poop a big one, when she is finished shedding.

My advice is not to feed during shed.

More importantly, you need to follow the regurge protocol Here is a link to the sticky thread (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28342) there is also a link in that thread for Kathy's advice, I highly recommend you read both. Others on here may be able to provide better links, or give you more advice on regurges.

Wow I really am tired (finals week). According to your post the regurge was 30 days ago! Scratch that last part, although it is important info to know just in case.

Thanks Rose Red, I have been loosely following that guide but she gets really hungry! I, too, hate finals and that's partially why I am asking others! lol.

As per jack's request...

She is in a 20gal long with 2" aspen. She has a UTH powered by a hydrofarm thermostat bouncing between 80F to 85F (set to 83F). Her cold side (air-wise) is around 70F.

She has a desert rock warm hide that is probably too big, but it is filled loosely with aspen for burrowing and she loves it. She also has a tree trunk thing with multiple small hides on the cold side that she is usually in. I added a paper towel tube across the warm to center side and her travel tub as a cold side igloo. I have a bend-a-branch and silk ivy to add, still. Water bowl is in dead center.

No idea her weight, but above 14g (her weight as of late October). She's under a foot long, maybe near it (I never actually measured her). She's under a year old, I got her Oct. 20 at a show.

I usually feed her Wed. with a pinkie that's been cut and stuffed with Nutribac. I used the regurge protocol for a month (size-wise). I simply place it in the tank on a cardboard plate and she takes it sometime during the night.

I can't tell if she is dull as she is still very dark red/brown. The fattiness probably is poop as her belly is darker back there, but she usually does poop by now. I pulled her out today and noticed she was shinier than usual, but it easily could have been the light. Again, I haven't seen her out an about as much at night, but we also recently adopted a cat this week.

Any suggestions? Thanks for the quick response so far!

I wouldnt' worry to much, like Rose said a lot of snakes wait to poop until after a shed and if the bulge is before the cloaca then I'd just assume it's nothing more than poop. Being around a month since the last shed I'd probably guess its more along the lines of her entering her blue phase. We have three cats and our snake is more interested in them than afraid of them so I don't think the cat would stress her out much unless the cat has attacked her before.

I have heard not to feed when they are in shed, because they might regurge

Good point. I've not had a regurge when in shed because I don't bother feeding them when they're in shed.

Some of the terminology confused me because "fatty tail" makes me think of something different than "snake that needs to use the bathroom"

Yes, everybody before is correct (in my opinion).

1. They often will not defecate until the shed (or until they're near your favorite shirt)
2. Do not feed if you think they're in shed

Alright, it's been a week and she has yet to go blue. I've noticed her out and about once per night (still less than usual) roaming around. Should I go ahead and feed her something? I'm thinking just feeding her a head in case she is about to shed.

Alright, it's been a week and she has yet to go blue. I've noticed her out and about once per night (still less than usual) roaming around. Should I go ahead and feed her something? I'm thinking just feeding her a head in case she is about to shed.

I would check her viv for the shed just to make sure. Dig through the aspen to make sure it isn't buried. That does sound odd to go into shed for a week and not be in the blue phase yet. Are you sure you haven't missed that phase?

What does everyone else think?

No, she definitely hasn't shed yet. I doubt she's even gone blue, to be honest. This would only be her second shed with me so I am unsure the proper signs (specifically her colors) before a shed.

I have a Blood Red as well, normally when Rose Red goes into shed her colors become very dull, then she enters the blue phase. I've never heard of it taking a week just to reach the blue phase (I would ask more experienced owners than I about that, maybe there are stages before the blue phase that I miss). So here are the scenarios that pop into my mind.

1. You missed the blue phase.
2. She isn't in shed.
3. She already shed.

But maybe more experienced members than I can put their input on this (I'm going by experience I have had with my corn snake).

As for feeding, if it were my snake I wouldn't if I believed it was in shed (risk of a regurge isn't worth it).

The signs that my Blood Red is in shed
1) Hiding a lot/little to no activity
2) Colors dull.
1-2 days later
3) Eye's become blue
3 days later
4) Eye's become clear and look to have a clear cap on them
2-3 days later
5) Sheds

This is how it happens with my Blood Red, usually takes 7-8 days for the whole process. Of course every snake is different.

Back