• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

acting strange

shaunb

Hi my baby corn is acting a bit strange, usually it hides during the day, but today it is out and writhing about back and forwards at the side of the tank which it has never done before i fed it on friday and was wondering if it might still be hungry or hot or maybe to cold, as it keeps doing over were the heat mat sits and is moving the substrate so it is just glassunder it's body any help would be aprecciated. thnx

How old is 'baby' and how big is it?
What did you feed it on Friday?
What do you mean by 'writhing about'?
What are your temps on the warm and cool side?

Can't give you any advice without knowing...

my baby was born on the 05/07/08 and is about 12 inches long,
fed it a pinky on friday which it took really well,straight from my hand which was a first.
it keeps like moving from side to side quite quickly against the glass and moving the substrate on the bottom cos of it's movements, that is were the heat mat is situated,
the temps are 30 on the warm and 22 on the cool side.

Hmm I don't think it will be hunting already with it being so small, do you usually feed once a week?

Temps could be a bit low but not far out (if my brain's working and I've converted them into farenheit properly). Are you using a probe to check the temperature on both sides? What I mean is, is the temperature being measured in the place where your snake is sitting?

I'm still not sure what movement you're describing, side to side doesn't tell me a lot, but it does sound odd behaviour. It doesn't sound like a tail rattle? Is it just the head, is it a shaking motion or is it weaving its entire body?

Sorry just trying to figure out what you're saying. Very puzzled by this one.

On an aside, isn't it great when they take pinkies from your hand - not so great when you're throwing jumbos in there and they go after you instead of the mouse :)

It is usually ok i only started handling it about 4 days ago but it comes straight to my hand when i take the top off and slides onto it to be picked up. It was weaving it's whole body from left to right, it is back in it's hide now but it done that for about 45 mins, i was just a bit worried cos it is something it has never done before. I thought it was fantastic when it took the pinky from my hand. The snake is half over the mat and half of it, sorry for calling the snake an it i don't know what sex it is yet but will be finding out in a couple of weeks so it has'nt got a name yet.

Lots of snakes just like to climb the glass like that- it's called "glass surfing."

I know 'it' isn't very nice but if you don't know yet...!

You're right to ask, it is worrying when they do something that seems strange for the first time :)

It actually sounds to me now like it's simply trying to burrow. What substrate do you use? Make sure it's quite thick, and do ensure to check the temperature from underneath the substrate. It should be mid-high 80s (F) on the warm side and mid-high 70s (F) on the cool side.

Lots of snakes just like to climb the glass like that- it's called "glass surfing."
Ah ha... is the snake upright, looks like it's climbing the glass? If so Nanci's dead right. I was picturing this little thing shuffling from side to side on the bottom of the viv...

It has a vine in it's tank and it usually climbs that, this is omething new i guess i will be seeing it do that a lot more then.

sorry my mistake it is doing it up the sides of the glass and moving it's tail around on the floor moving the substrate away from the glass, the substrate i got actually came with the perfecto viv with water bowl heat mat and so on, i put about 10 mm of substrate on the bottom of the viv. I don't have a strip thermometer at the min to check the temp maybe i will invest in one today thnk u very much for the info i love this site.

don't get a stripe guage, pick up a digital indoor/outdoor with probe one so you can place the probe on the bottom of the tank where the heat mat is.

stripe thermometers or any other thermometer you place on the wall of the viv will not give you correct temperatures as the heat is on the bottom of the tank, and so is your snake.

you want to take the temp readings under the substrate in the middle of the heat pad, as that will be the warmest spot.

Back