• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

advice needed on breeding and feeding

skullsnroses

any advice on breeding and feeding would be a great help as a novice to breeding was told all 3 snakes were boys by the vet just to find a clutch of 33 eggs 18 successively hatched and all fed and shed but 1 now today we found 25 more we now incubated them and separated all the snakes im not a breeder and after the first clutch i was a bit Nivea and left them all together hence more eggs was told it was a it could be the sperm left over from last lot but iv read a lot of info on different sites and a lot of them do contradicted them self's all advice would be great ( but please hold back on the ear bashing :eek: ) as i already know it was a mistake to leave them just realized a little to late that's all :)

I think the biggest question you need to ask yourself is do you have a place for a possible 25 more babies. If you are not then I would recommend freezing them and throwing them away. But it is possible for them to retain sperm. It is pretty likely that she was bred again by the male if they were still in the same tank. Generally when they double clutch with left over sperm they seem to lay more slugs than fertile eggs.

thanks

thank you for your advice but i couldn't take a life and i will make room i already own 6 other corns and there now all housed appropriately i was given 3 adult corns 3 months back and took them to vet he said there all boys so foolishly i left them be as they'd shared the same viv with the last owner since they were born i know they can change there sex i have had snakes since a child iv just never bred them for the same reasons unwanted baby's i guess im just to soft as would rather give them away than to kill them but i take your advice on board thank you katalina:)

thank you for your advice but i couldn't take a life and i will make room i already own 6 other corns and there now all housed appropriately i was given 3 adult corns 3 months back and took them to vet he said there all boys so foolishly i left them be as they'd shared the same viv with the last owner since they were born i know they can change there sex i have had snakes since a child iv just never bred them for the same reasons unwanted baby's i guess im just to soft as would rather give them away than to kill them but i take your advice on board thank you katalina

thank you for your advice but i couldn't take a life and i will make room i already own 6 other corns and there now all housed appropriately i was given 3 adult corns 3 months back and took them to vet he said there all boys so foolishly i left them be as they'd shared the same viv with the last owner since they were born i know they can change there sex i have had snakes since a child iv just never bred them for the same reasons unwanted baby's i guess im just to soft as would rather give them away than to kill them but i take your advice on board thank you katalina:)

I don't think they change sex just sexed wrong which happens to the best people even vets.
how do you have the eggs set up?

i had to buy and incubator from a pet shop as it was all last minute and didn't want the eggs to get damaged its a box with in a box and a fish tank heater and vermiculite not sure how to spell it but its what you but the eggs on to keep warm and moist and a thermometer

Ok good as long as you are prepared. I would rather people know that their is a viable option now than having to take a horrible step like that once their babies are here and they can't find a place for them and can't afford them.

Snakes are not able to change sex so it is just a matter that one or more of the snakes were missed sex. It can and does happen to the best of them but it sounds like you pretty much have the incubation part of it down.

Do you have the adults separated now? I am not harping on you just snakes would be better off housed separate and there would be no more unwanted hatchlings. I applaud your good attitude towards listening to all advice given. Good luck with them all.

i sharp realized after the first set of hatch lings is that incubation is the easy part its the feeding im having a few problems with as 1 of the baby's born on the 4th still wont eat iv tried every thing right down to covering pinky with the skin of a lizard that shed to try and mask the pinky iv made sure it has plenty of fresh water daily and now only offer food every other day to see if that works but as yet nothings working

Back