• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

after feeding in separate tub...

kensei

Hey guys, i had a question about feeding in a separate tub. This might be a stupid question to ask, but after feeding an adult in a separate tub, what's the best way to put the corn back into its viv? Do you just pick him up by holding the body in avoidance of the 'lump' and place him in the viv, put the tub over the viv and let him crawl in on his own, or is there another method? What is the least stressful method in order to avoid a regurg? Thanks.

If you have the room to let him come out into the viv on his own great. I usually let them come out on their own. If you need to pick up just be gentle and support the whole body. The amount of time it is going to take you to scoop them up and place them is not going to do any harm, if you are gentle. IMO

I agree. As long as handling to get the Corn back into the viv is minimal and gentle, it doesn't do any harm. That's what I generally do.

On the other hand, I have a couple of Corns that detest being touched just after they've eaten and get really stressy about it. For them, I just put the open feeding tank next to the open viv door, tip it slightly towards the viv and sit there until they find their own way in. It can take a few minutes longer, but it's worth it to avoid a regurge.

I agree with Jace.

I use the let it make its own way back into the viv method,

it works well for me, and i dont have to worry about trying to pick it up, besides after mine eats it thinks anything that moves is food, so i try to avoid getting my fingers anywhere near him ;)

I've done both and mine seems to like me holding him better than tipping the box slightly and letting him crawl in. He just sits there so I reached in to pick him up and he curled up in my hand. awwwwwwwwww.

For me it depends on my snakes.
Nagini doesn't care one way or the other, so I just soon carry her over myself, it gives me a chance to place her head to her water dish and she 9 out of 10 times will drink for me.
My king snake I just put the feeding container back in the viv cause he's really antsy and I've still managed to avoid being tagged.

I place mine back in by hand, supporting the 'lump'..lol

this works well for me because the are not too worried about me putting them back...they seem to realize I'm not going to play with them after they've eaten..lol

Thanks for all the replies. The general consensus I'm getting is that there is no "best" way... just have to figure out what works I guess?

I place mine back in by hand, supporting the 'lump'

really? i thought i should avoid the lump because i figured it would be more uncomfortable/stressful to the snake if i'm touching it.

really? i thought i should avoid the lump because i figured it would be more uncomfortable/stressful to the snake if i'm touching it.

I just place my hand under it, so that his meal is not dangling when I am putting him back :)
I don't handle him...he goes from the feed box...to the viv...its only a couple seconds. When I bring his feed box and place it beside his viv it's really quick.
I've never had a regurge so far ( knocks on wood )..lol

I gently handle the lump as well, most of the time when I try to support her before and after it she slithers into position anyway, so I figure it's better to support the heaviest part of her.

I asked this question to the guy at my local reptile shop who has cared for snakes for thirty years.His reply was"why would you want to feed them in a separate tank"?

After I told him the reason(we all know why) he said that it was complete rubbish you have to feed them in a separate tank and this could possibly stress the snake.

So last few times I have fed mine in their normal tank and so far when I go to get them out to hold them they haven't striked.

Just saying what an experienced guy told me.It's strange because most of you guys prefer to feed outside the main tank.I guess everyone has different ideas.

I pick up my adults by the lump to move them back into their tanks. The hatchlings I just grab any way I can, they wiggle a lot! The main thing I try not to do is squeeze them.

Cherverton: most of us feed outside the tank to avoid the small risk of the snake ingesting substrate with the mouse and becoming impacted. It's pretty well established that feeding response to a hand in the tank is exaggerated.

So far my feedboxes have been smaller than the viv, so I usually put the feedbox in and wait for a minute for them to find their way out. Kel sometimes just likes to hang out in the feed box, so I'll sometimes quickly but gently lift her out. Works pretty well for me. ;) Also, I think there is a lot less risk of ingesting substrate with Repti-Bark (not to say there isn't one), so it may be that store owner was using Repti-Bark on most of the snakes instead of aspen.

I asked this question to the guy at my local reptile shop who has cared for snakes for thirty years.His reply was"why would you want to feed them in a separate tank"?

After I told him the reason(we all know why) he said that it was complete rubbish you have to feed them in a separate tank and this could possibly stress the snake.

So last few times I have fed mine in their normal tank and so far when I go to get them out to hold them they haven't striked.

Just saying what an experienced guy told me.It's strange because most of you guys prefer to feed outside the main tank.I guess everyone has different ideas.

The guy at my reptile shop said that too! I think they're full of rubbish, these pet shops :D.

Since mine are babies, they don't have full sized vivs anyway yet, they are in large plastic tanks and get fed in a smaller "carry" tank. When they're done, I leave them about 1/2 an hour to digest and then carefully place the carry tank in the top of the main tank for that snake and kinda "tip" it towards the bark in there.. Because it's smooth plastic he/she just slides gently down the side and plops onto the log, and then scurrys away :D.

I find it interesting the number of methods described here today, and they all seem very viable strategies.

Personally, I just pi . . . oh, wait, I feed in their cage. :eek1:

Sure, I take the chance they may ingest the stray piece of substrate, but:
A. You say substrate, I say natural fiber. :)
B. I don't have to worry about stresses due to immediate handling. Aren't you supposed to wait 48 hours . . . :eek1: :)
C. Don't have to worry about regurges due to handling.
D. Don't have to worry about getting struck at or bitten due to "feeding frenzy".
E. Don't have to worry about getting struck at or bitten due to "feeding response" since they're in their feeding cages which in theory should elicit a feeding response since it's argued that opening their normal cage for feeding "in the cage" also is supposed to elicit a feeding response . . . did that make sense? :)
F. Don't have to worry about the shy and picky eaters taking hours to decide to eat.
G. It's so much more convient than waiting for 48 different snakes to exit their feeding tubs on their own . . . :crazy02:

Quite honestly, to each their own, and I'm not judging in the least. :shrugs:
D80

Back