• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

After feeding - regurge question

chag67

Because I know regurgitation is really bad for snakes, how often and how do you check after feeding to see if you snake has regurged? After feeding my guy goes straight into his warm hide and apparently stays there for a couple days. I don't want to stress him by lifting his hide to see if he has regurged but I can't always see his whole body when I shine a light into his hide.

Am I worrying too much?
How do you guys check?

I would follow your instinct and avoid lifting his hide, or shining a light into his hide. If there's a regurge, you'll smell it if you don't see it on top of the substrate.

You'll smell it. As often as we discuss it here, it's a fairly rare occurrence. If you don't feed when the snake is blue, and don't feed a mouse bigger than the diameter of the snake, you'll probably never have to worry about it.

And- treatment is don't feed the snake for ten days, which means skipping the next feeding, so it doesn't help to know early that he's done it, either.

The fuzzy I fed my guy today was a little bigger than the fastest part of his body. I would say around 1.25x. There was a noticeable bulge when he went back into his hide. But last feeding he ate 2 pinkies and there wasn't any bulge after one day. I figured he was due for an upgrade.

After my experience with Sixx that nearly broke my heart, my opinion is you won't hurt anything by slightly under-feeding.

I'd second waiting for the smell. No matter how small the regurged meal, it's a stink - and an immediate one - that will permeate your home. It's not one that you'll mistake for anything else, ever again.

Back