• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Age / Color question

krazybob

Krazy About Snakes
My snake is about 2" long and I have no idea how old she is. She's a pretty snow corn and I read somewhere that her colors could change until she is grown. Is that right? If so how long is that until she is considered grown? Right now she's a pretty pink color and I hope she keeps it.
I want to figure out about how old she is... any ideas on how to guess based on her size?
I am having a hard time naming her but I have it narrowed down to 2: Blondie (after her color and my favorite singer) or Molly (since she's pretty 'n pink. Dating myself either way, but I want the name to fit her. Any votes on names?

Robert

I'm guessing you mean 2' long. And the color will change, how much is hard to say, it vary from snake to snake. Guessing the age is hard too. It depends on the feeding and again the snake but it could be a year old.
The name?..........well,....Mystery come to mind here. Sorry I couldn't help .

Her yellows will probably spread and intensify. Out of those two choice, I'd go with Molly. Blondie just doesn't fit a snow corn as well. :crazy02:

Molly it is..

I think Molly fits her best. What do you mean by her yellows? Sorry for the dumb questions buy all the colors on her back seem pink to me. Will she go yellowish or stay pinkish?

krazybob said:
I think Molly fits her best. What do you mean by her yellows? Sorry for the dumb questions buy all the colors on her back seem pink to me. Will she go yellowish or stay pinkish?
Most snows develop yellow on their chins and the sides of their necks. I assumed that she had some, because most would have some degree of it by the time they hit 2 feet. You should post a photo.

Look at my snow corn in my avatar. The yellow on her chin and lower sides is what they are talking about. It is hard to say what your snake will look like when she is grown. Mine is almost 2 years old. This is what she looked like a year ago:

100_0478.jpg

Well...

Thanks for the reply. Mine looks just like yours did a year ago. I guess that helps to confirm her age at about a year. So I can look forward to some coloration changes as she gets a bit older. When is a corn considered full grown with no more color changes or significant growth?

I def. like Molly the best, A corn snake is usually full grown around 4-5 years but females will continue growing for a while longr. You wont see significant growth, whn their that age they only shed around 4 times a year

I def. like Molly the best, A corn snake is usually full grown around 4-5 years but females will continue growing for a while longr. You wont see significant growth, whn their that age they only shed around 4 times a year

In corns, it is the males that usually will attain the largest size. This holds true for most colubrid species in which the males engage in combat. Of course, ancestry has a lot to do with it too. Some adult corns may never achieve 3.5 feet.

Roy Munson said:
In corns, it is the males that usually will attain the largest size. This holds true for most colubrid species in which the males engage in combat. Of course, ancestry has a lot to do with it too. Some adult corns may never achieve 3.5 feet.

U should know this, females have to grow larger becuz they are the ones who would carry the babys and they realy need the extra weight&length cuz of that baby factor. Some adults may not reach 3.5 but it depends on its feeding chart, how many times it eats and how big.

U should know this, females have to grow larger becuz they are the ones who would carry the babys and they realy need the extra weight&length cuz of that baby factor. Some adults may not reach 3.5 but it depends on its feeding chart, how many times it eats and how big.

This is only true for those species in which the males do not combat. In combative species, the larger male nearly always wins these battles. Therefore, larger male size has been selected for, and the males usually exceed the females in terms of maximum size.

You are neglecting the genetic differences in corn snakes when you give your length projections. Some populations of wild corns do not reach lengths exceeding 3.5 feet, regardless of feeding. If your captive corn's ancestry lies in these populations, your corn may never exceed 3.5 feet either, regardless of feeding.

If you're gonna take somebody to school, you've really gotta know the subject material well. ;)

Roy Munson said:
and the males usually exceed the females in terms of maximum size
I still beg to differ that, but the rest you sound like you know wat yur talkin about so I'll give you the Win but I still do know a thing or two or three or more! lol

My lil snow has been changing for a month or two now. She has a lot of yellow in her, I thought she was poop stained or something at first. Its kinda cool, but it kind of looks dirty too, lol. I kept her tank spotless though. Shes not even a year old yet. Her sides and head is what is getting the most yellow.

After Molly's shed last night she finally started showing some yellow. It is around the side of the head and heading down her sides just a shor ways. I was wondering when it would happen.

Back