• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Age ?

8292tom

Is there any way to tell age by lenght or weight ? We rescued Steve-o from a local pet store in December. They did not know his age. He weighted 40 grams then and his shed was 28 inches long. His weight on 5/14/10 was 136 grams and he shed 5/19/10 and his shed measured 37 1/2. We are feeding according to the munson plan with a little tweaking when necessary. He has shed every 6 to 8 weeks since we got him. It does not matter to us, we were just curious.

He was most likely born in the spring of '09. (Most, but not all, corns are born in the spring, early summer) Most corns weigh in the 7-12 gram range when born. By December 40 grams is a normal weight, if fed halfway regularly.

No real way to tell though. I have one born in '07 that is still barely above 100g since he went thru a LONG period of not eating much at all.

I have a pair that were born in August of '08 and weigh 228g an 203g and are voracious eaters.

Considering yours has grown about 100g in 5 months you are doing well. :D

Well, there really isn't any way to tell but he's most likely a 2009, maybe from a second clutch, or later in the year. My smallest 2009 is 20g. He had a couple regurges so has been on a restricted diet. His sister is 40g. My largest 2009 is 93g.

WAIT- I need to read the question completely. I'm going to guess 2008 then. My 2008s are 124 and 196. He probably hatched in the summer.

Is there any way to tell age by lenght or weight ? We rescued Steve-o from a local pet store in December. They did not know his age. He weighted 40 grams then and his shed was 28 inches long. His weight on 5/14/10 was 136 grams and he shed 5/19/10 and his shed measured 37 1/2. We are feeding according to the munson plan with a little tweaking when necessary. He has shed every 6 to 8 weeks since we got him. It does not matter to us, we were just curious.

I am not qualified to help with age, although others are & have, but it sounds like Steve-o is thriving in your care given that he has gained about 100 gms in 5 months! Good for you.

Thanks for your replies. We did alot of research on habitat and care before we got a cornsnake. He has never refused to eat except for his first feed with us . We just follow the munson plan and he has done quite well.

Back