• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

aggressive and shy

steve-00

so my little male corn is being very shy and realy aggressive, he wasnt so aggressive but than again he got out twice so maybe being on his own has "harden" him? i dont know what do you think

It could have been the time on his own, or it could be just normal behavior change with time. Sometimes it just happens.

How'd he get out, by the by?

It could be the environment change depending on just how long he was gone. I have a couple of snakes that were sweet as pie when I had them all in tanks,but,since I switched to tubs,they're now cranky more often than not. I just attributed it to the enviroment change since nothing is different other than being in an opaque tub rather than being in a glass tank.

Give him time to settle in again and make sure he doesn't have any more opportunities to escape.

Corns are relatively laid-back snakes...I'm sure he'll be tame with patience.

You say he's aggressive AND shy. All animals, including humans, will show aggression when panicked. Consistent gentle handling at times when he's well fed and satisfied and not in a shed, will teach him that handling is safe and won't hurt him. Moving him from his cage to a feeding container before feeding will teach him that handling leads to the positive experience of being fed. My first corn was so shy I had to completely cover her cage and put it in a quiet place before she would eat anything. She didn't eat until about a month after arrival and then for at least two or three months more, required her cage to be completely covered and quiet for her to come out of hiding and eat. Today she confidently begs for food, takes live mice from my hand, and is totally at ease when she goes visiting at the local petshop and explores every bright colored object that I carry her close enough to, to explore. She is friendly to other people she meets (I'm always holding her or have her in her travel container and keeping a watchful eye on her of course, and I also always respect her need to be left alone when she's going through a shed.)

I think escaping is a scary experience for snakes, they suddenly find themselves in a world full of unknown dangers. Once I had a corn escape and I didn't even know he had gotten out until I was talking on the phone and came close to a chest of drawers in my room. Out of the top drawer came a head as the escapee reached out and climbed onto my shoulder!!!! I was shocked, surprised, and considered myself to have been super lucky that he did this because I didn't even know he had gotten out. In one corner of his super-reinforced tank and lid was a space he had managed to shove open in the duct tape and foam lining, just barely enough to squeeze himself out of. Needless to say, that corner was reinforced again with material that wasn't so flexible and he hasn't repeated the act although when he gets bored, he will go check out the top corners of his lid. After his Houdini act, I moved him to a spot where I can keep a closer eye on him and when he gets restless and I know he's not hungry, I will take him out or put colorful things around his tank for him to look at and that will relieve his boredom and settle him down.

Back