• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Air Holes

oldsnow

Hrmmmm........
I just finished my rack to hold 15 6qt. tubs for hatchlings, and I'm wondering.... what size holes should I put in my tubs for ventilation? I know I don't want them too big, cause I don't really feel like chasing baby snakes around my house. But I would like them to be as big as possible to allow for pretty good ventilation, since I've heard that some racks air flow sucks. Would a 1/4" bit make a decent size hole or would a fresh out hatch be small enough to wiggle through that?

A few pics, since I did kinda base it off a few different DIY threads as well as some personal knowledge:

Attachments

• DSCN1800.JPG
    DSCN1800.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN1798.JPG
    DSCN1798.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN1797.JPG
    DSCN1797.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 69
For my 15 quart tubs I used a soldering iron for the holes. I just checked them with a ball point pen to give you a reference and you can put the pen tip only in about halfway. I guess the smaller the hole, the more you should create. Also I think you want to consider the humidity as well and if you have lower humidity try not to put so many holes. Good luck.

I use a 1/8" drill bit. A hatchling can make it out of a 1/4" hole. I really need to get a soldering iron though. That would really cut down on all the drilling. Nice rack by the way!!!

I used a wood buring tool with a detail tip and made about 1/2" holes. It went fairly quickly. I tried to use a dremel and it was a mess. NIce racks! I told my husband that I wanted to do somethinkg like that in the basement and he said then that means 20 some more snakes?

Go for 1/8 inch holes. 1/8 inch is small enough that they can't get out... I'd be worried that a hatchling could wiggle right out through a 1/4 in hole.

thanks everyone... I'll use the soldering iron idea since I have one of those lying around somewhere that I never use.

And groomingdiva, as for the basement idea.... my wife agreed to it and isn't the biggest fan of snakes so surely you can talk him into it. I'm sectioning off an inset though and building a divider wall to create my own little "snake room" that will be temp and humidity controlled throughout the room. Also having a cement block wall along the back side will help with the racks having a cool side even though the entire room will be heated. Maybe cut down on some cost when I go to building bigger "wall sized" rack systems.

O and I did the whole rack for ~$20-30 including the tubs..... great to have a wife who loves clearance sections :spinner:

Just wanted to say...great rack oldsnow! Wish I could convince hubby that more snakes are a good thing but he is proving resistant to getting even one more (and we only have one right now).

Just wanted to say...great rack oldsnow! Wish I could convince hubby that more snakes are a good thing but he is proving resistant to getting even one more (and we only have one right now).

Tell him it would only be fair to get one more corn and one more hamster, then you would have 2 of each. Who knows, it might even work lol

And if I can get our snow sexed I could make sure I get the opposite and accidently put them in the same tank for a bit...you know...just long enough...

:crazy02:Oldsnow that sounds great! I know he will be ok with it, he pretty much lets me get what I want within reason. He said he's trying to be cool with the tarantulas. He can actually look at pics now without making a face

And it would be "an accident" and he couldn't complain about an accident cause its just what nature intended to happen. Just make sure you just happen to have an incubator somewhere around the house and remind him that pretty baby snakes= a little spending cash for his hobbies, whatever they may be.

Back