• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

albino or snow?

lovesbuggs

I was at a local pet shop today (Petco) and they had a whole host of young hatchlings for sale. There were two beauties in there. One that was very white, nearly transparent and so tiny. Her markings were very light pink. Red eyes. The second was pink, very pink with red eyes. I came home and looked them up, but when I searched each one the same photos came up. My questions...is there a difference between albino and snow? And if so how do I tell by looking at the hatchlings? Will the white change much? Turn yellow or pink as it grows? The guy at the shop said albino...but he also referred to the others as black and fancy? What's a fancy corn snake?

A "fancy" corn snake is how PetCo labels basically any morph other than straight normal.

(and I've even seen them mark normals as "fancy" too).

"Albino" typically refers to "Amel" types (amelanistic - no black pigments)
"Black" is usually meaning "Anery" types (anerytheristic - no red pigments)

"Snow" is both "Amel" and "Anery" (no black or red pigments) and tend to be
a pale yellowish to white coloring.

However, most morphs change appearance quite a bit as they grow up so it's sometimes hard to tell with very young hatchlings (at least until you get skilled at looking at hatchlings).

Petco also will label stripes, motleys, etc as fancy.
Typically, they don't really know what they are talking about. Unless you get someone who's passion is that animal.

I have a friend who works there, and he can tell you anything you ever needed to know about any species of fish, but when it comes to snakes he doesn't know much.

Petco doesn't label morphs differently. They're all just labeled "corn snakes" and sold for the same price, regardless of morph. I work at Petco. I believe it's Petsmart that labels them "albino", "fancy" etc. and prices them by morph.

The employees might refer to them as "fancy", but as far as I know we only have one SKU for corns. It might have been different in the past, though.

Back