• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Albino vs. Snow.

amystl

Feed my emu this gun.
Hey all. I'm very inexperienced in colors/morphs of corns, as I've just gotten into them in the last couple of months. (Always been a boa owner.)

But, I was killing time and looking at websites that sell snakes just for grins. I came across one website that was advertising albinos AND snows for sale.

The picture of the snow corns was your ordinary snow, but the picture for the albino was this...

19831.jpg

Saying that it was albino because it lacked all DARK pigment. I thought albinos were lacking ALL pigment. Am I incorrect?

Also. :-offtopic They are selling a luescistic ball python for $85,000. Beautiful snake, but ... wow. Quite pricey.

Anyways, just your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated. I love learning all about these wonderful snakes!

Happy herping,
Amy

amels lack the dark pigment and have red eyes.. anery's lack the melanin (no red/orange)

when I bought my snow they told me (a petstore) he is a white albino. Made sense to me. Found out later after trying to find a 'white' albino, that he's a snow.

Albino/Amelanistic, is the absence of melanin (black pigment). This is why albinos can have varying amounts of white, red, yellow, and orange, but not black.

A snow is one step further. It is a snake that is expressing both amelanism and anerythrism. Amelanism removes the black and anerythrism removes the reds and oranges. What you are left with then is a snake that is white with varying amounts of yellow.

Well, see. Then they were right, and I was just uninformed. Thank you for clearing that up for me!

i think those leucistic balls go for more like 200,000..not that they are going but there are so few in the world no one would let one go for less than that.

Why are they so hard to produce? I'm very uneducated in genetics, but I would think you could at least produce a few if crossed the right parental traits.

Apparently not!

I can think of a lot of other things I'd like to do with my money!!!

Back to the topic. People often refer to amelanistics (missing black pigment) as 'albinos' and they are not totally incorrect. Anerythristics can also be called 'black albinos' and that's also not totally wrong (but not so eloquent!)

Cornsnakes in nature have 3 different pigments that blend together in the animal to make the various tones and colours. These are melanin (black), erythrin (red) and xanthin (yellow). One missing any one of these 3 can technically be called an albino but people who ar more into their genetics and have a deeper understanding would rarely refer to one of these as simply an 'albino'.

Hope that explains a little for you!

When choosing between an Albino Corn Snake and a Snow Corn Snake, both have their unique appeal. The Albino Corn Snake stands out with its bright orange and red patterns against a creamy white background and striking red or pink eyes. Its vivid colouration makes it a popular choice, though this vibrancy often comes with a higher price, typically ranging from $150 to $300. In terms of care, the Albino is just as easy to look after as other corn snakes, needing a well-maintained habitat and regular feeding.

On the other hand, the Snow Corn Snake features a more subtle, frosty appearance with pale white and grey hues. It’s generally more affordable, costing between $100 and $200. While its colours are less bold, the Snow Corn Snake is also easy to care for, with similar needs to other corn snakes.
Albino corn snake

If you’re drawn to striking, bright colours and don’t mind spending a bit more, the Albino Corn Snake might be your top pick. Its vivid look and eye-catching appearance make it a favourite among snake enthusiasts.

Back