• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Aligning PetSmart frozen mice with munson feeding plan..

Jenn

Hello all!

I'm about to bump up Ash to fuzzy mice and was at my local PetSmart and was wondering what's what.

PetSmart sells: Pinky, Fuzzy, Small Mouse, Medium Mouse, and Large Mouse.

I'm just wondering how this aligns with the Munson Plan. I'm not there yet but once Ash is read to move onto hoppers, is that "small mouse"? Is a weaned mouse a "medium mouse"?

Also I see that the Munson Plan differentiates small and regular sized fuzzy. I see on the back of my fuzzy package (from PetSmart) it says the mouse is at least 5 grams..so in your experience are small and regular sized fuzzies all mixed up at PetSmart?

Bleh I wish shipping wasn't so expensive so I could just buy online. Thanks in advance for help!

I don't buy at Petsmart - I am super lucky and have a really nice reptile store 1/2 hour from me that sells the frozen mice (meaning I only have to say hopper).

So having no experience with Petsmart mice, my recommendation would be to check out an online place (ie. https://www.laynelabs.com/frozen-mice) which lists the weights and lengths of the mice of each size. For example, their Hoppers are 7-10 grams so maybe you could match that size up with the mice from Petsmart.

Hopefully someone has more experience with buying Petsmart mice.

If you look on the packaging, there is average weights for each size.

Small mice in the Artic Mice brand are typically 10g, which hoppers are typically 8-10g, so small mouse = hopper. But it may vary by brand. PS I found Petco to be slightly cheaper.

Medium is often weanlings, but I get both small and medium, and feed the small adults to those who are almost ready to move up to weanlings, but not quite ready.
I get mine from Layne Labs though.

I get my small quantities of mice from Pet Supplies Plus. I believe it's the Arctic Mice brand. I bought a box of small mice recently, but I wanted to still feed the snake the smaller mice first. Arctic Mice brand pre-package each mouse individually. So, I separated each mouse in their packaging and weighed them. It's not exact since there is still the plastic and their frozen. Still, I could mark the little plastic baggies with their approximate weights so I could feed smallest to largest. Makes it a bit easier on my little guy.

When I can use bulk, I get mine from American Rodent Supply. I'm lucky that they're located near Indianapolis. I can get them without the shipping. I still have about 30 pinkie mice from them if anyone is interested XD

So, I separated each mouse in their packaging and weighed them. It's not exact since there is still the plastic and their frozen. Still, I could mark the little plastic baggies with their approximate weights so I could feed smallest to largest.

I like this idea. I grabbed two bags of fuzzies but have just been feeling it from the outside trying to determine which is smaller.I immediately nixed the weighing idea since they're frozen..but it's all relative when you're comparing them frozen, right? I'll do that today to pick which one to give her.

That first fuzzy is a nervous time isn't it?? Today is the day. I did wait until she's 29g to feed her one, I'm just hoping these don't end up being too big.

Thanks everyone for all the help!! It's so fun watching her grow up, but I do miss just getting a mouse and being done with it. This bumping up in food size is nerve wracking (..or it's just me, it's likely just me ;) )

I bought a box of the "Arctic Mice" brand at my local PetsMart, it was labeled Medium Mice. My snake was currently eating Hoppers, but PetsMart doesn't label that way. I was told there's not a lot of difference between a Large Fuzzy, A Hopper, And a Small Adult. They are basically all "Medium" mice. And chances are if your snake can eat one, it can probably handle the other. So I took the box of Medium mice home and opened it, and the mice inside looked exactly like the Hoppers I had.

Hope this helps.

Back