• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Almost $500 feeder bill, NEED advice on several questions?? Please!

LindsayMarie

Been here awhile
I am in awe and just have no idea what to do, what to say! I have 21 snakes eating anywhere from 2 fuzzies - jumbo (but only a couple), many eat BC adult size and they were out, along with TMF. So I went back to BC because they actually have a medium option, but the problem with the orders I have been getting from them is size. They are smaller and not as fat as TMF's of the same size. Not to mention you generally have 2 sizes in each bag of BC. For example, my hopper bag, which I pay MORE for has both fuzzies and hoppers??? (annoying) The customer service isnt so nice either, at least not to me?!

I expect at least around 60 hatchlings (16 are already here) on top of the 21 and then keepers probably. So my partner came up with this list, ordered it and I am like what the heck? It seems the order was kind of OVER shot a little more then we need? Especially with the White Plains Reptile Expo next month (it is 3 hours away, so maybe I wont go). Well its too late now, but I was hoping for some suggestions. What company you use, how to calculate how much? Generally the consensus was that vaccuum sealed lasted about a year. Now I am reading 6 months???? Which is it? Its obvious I need a good scale, problem is I cant find the model I found on here previously by someone with a pic, thats the one I want, just a different model # I think. What scale does everyone use? Maybe I will see the pic again :)

Well I guess I will stop ranting but if you would like to know exactly what was ordered vs the price, pm me! I dont know if putting all that info out is a good idea. But I would really appreciate the help? Maybe you can put my mind at ease that the price for what I ordered and had shipped, wasnt TOO bad? Or maybe you will have a better option for me, for next time? PLEASE! (pming isnt so bad!)

I REALLY need to find a mouse breeder and seller within a hour from me, if one exists!!! I wonder how I can do that? Hmmmmmmm.....

Thanks a bunch, Lindsay

Last edited:
I would order from Rodentpro, they have exact sizes and you know what you will be getting in each bag. They are the only online mouse supplier I've ordered from and I was impressed with their service and quality. Otherwise, consider starting your own colony, if just for the pinks. That's what I'm doing. I hope you find a good solution.

I use TMF too. RP's mice smell more mousy than live ones.

I do sympathize though, I've also had TMF be out of things I wanted to order. The quality is better though, as is service and speed..

I have mice that I've kept almost a year and my snakes are still doing well on them. I don't think I'll keep those mice much longer, though I would like too as they don't look freezer burned..

What's everybodies consensus on that? If vaccuum packed how long do you keep them?

I haven't ordered any mice online in a few years, so maybe I was lucky with my order from RP. :shrugs:

I think that's probably the case. They buy from lot's of people I think and it appears (to me) that the QC has gone out the window.
Maybe that's how they never run out?

I'm 2 orders for 2, being a clotted poopy mousy mess with hair falling out in the water. And the second was a 'correction' on the first. First was all black mice, second was all white. (Well yellow really..)

Fresher is better. But I think you can get away with a year if your bags are well sealed. All food looses nutrients in the freezer. The longer the time, the greater the loss.

I keep a record and know how many mice I feed every week of each size. It is not too difficult to calculate how many mice I will use in a month or how long 500 adults will last. I keep a running inventory of what is in the freezer and I know how many weeks supply of adults, weanlings, hoppers, etc. I have. It's not complicated, you just have to discipline yourself to do it and keep it current.

I don't buy very many mice but when I do I use TMF and have always been impressed with them. Excellent product, excellent service. (I think Edna loves me)

I looked up how long whole chicken, beef, pork, etc. lasts in the freezer- one year. I'd feel safe keeping mice, especially vacuum packed, a year.

It also said that if something thaws accidentally, it's safe to refreeze if ice crystals are present or it is cold to the touch.

And freezer burn is not unsafe.

I don't buy very many mice but when I do I use TMF and have always been impressed with them. Excellent product, excellent service. (I think Edna loves me)

When the local supply is scant I buy from TMF and have been very pleased. The shipping kills the price for me though. I'm lucky enough to have local suppliers of live and frozen.

Of course she does Wade!

Terri

I just recently bought an order from Rodent Pro. I was very pleased with what I got. All appear fresh and very good sized. I had always gotten from a place about 45 minutes away, but they didn't offer all the sizes I needed, so that why I switched. Maybe I "got lucky" with this order?? I'd like to know, maybe I can shop around for the next order.

I just received an $1,800 order from RodentPro of mice, rats, and chicks. It was just as good as it always has been. Everything was completely frozen and good quality, with plenty of dry ice still left. They are not vacuum packed, I use them within a few months, so the quality is seldom ever a problem before they are used up. If you plan to keep some for a year, maybe you should consider repacking some of them in vacuum sealed bags, or buying from a place that uses vacuum sealed bags.

I usually order $1,000 to $1,500 worth of rodents from them twice per year, and have never been unhappy with my orders. I have been ordering from them for many years. I know some others have complained of bad orders, and I believe them. I don't know why it happened to them - maybe just an occasional slip up? But I believe RodentPro has always made things right if they made a mistake.

I will continue to buy from RodentPro as long as they keep sending me the quality I have received so far.

I use RodentPro all the time. Never have I had any trouble with them. There prices seem to be pretty good to me. Plus I have an advantage, I live close enough to go pick my orders up and not pay shipping. ;)

I use TMF and also Big Cheese, very similar product with TMF being just a little better quality and price...K

I use rodent pro myself to help supplement what I produce at home. I get them from the reptile show in Columbus so I get to look at the bags that I am buying. I am very please with them personally.

I used RP for about three orders.. The last order was not much, maybe $120 when i split an order with a friend.. I should have refused the order because the adult mice must have came from the bottom of the frezer... Freeze dried essentially and poor qaulity.. I use TMF for pinks to hoppers, with both mice and ratties. I recently found a local here that has adults considerably reduced price but decent adults.. Not sure why my last RP order looked so horrible ( I think I tossed half of it out a month or so after I got it.. ) but it took a shot at their reputation for me..

Regards... Tim of T and J

Yes, definitely contact them right away if you ever get anything less than perfect. From everything I have heard, they will take your word and make good on it right away. They seem to be very concerned about their reputation. But they can't make good on it if they don't know. I agree that they should not have sent it out in the first place, but all of us do make mistakes now and then. And if you have employees, it tends to happen more often than it should.

I've never had a reason to switch from Rodent Pro. I've never had a snake complain to me about the quality of their meal either vocally or via poor growth. My snakes grow to an above average size on a 7-10 day feeding schedule (from hatching) while other people feel the need to exclaim how they feed every 3, 4 or 5 days. I doubt it's just the water in my neck of the woods. :shrugs:

D80

TMF is the best, Big Cheese is the best for the price. I noticed the sizes aren't always uniform, but then again, neither are my snakes so it has always worked for me. Even in my own mice litters, fuzzies and hoppers come in different sizes. However, if a $500 mouse bill scares you, be careful what you hold back.... my feeder bills are that low in my dreams. :spinner:

I've ordered from TMF for years, and one time ordered from BC because the prices were a little better. Never again! mice were smaller and smelled very strong (not in a good way).
I will stick with TMF from now on. Love their customer service and product!

Yes, definitely contact them right away if you ever get anything less than perfect. From everything I have heard, they will take your word and make good on it right away. They seem to be very concerned about their reputation. But they can't make good on it if they don't know. I agree that they should not have sent it out in the first place, but all of us do make mistakes now and then. And if you have employees, it tends to happen more often than it should.

I use RP exclusively and without problems. I place orders online and pick up at a local show. The guy I deal with, Casey, went as far as giving me his cell phone number so I can contact him anytime I need something. And also like Brent, my snakes gobble up every bite!:licklips:

Back