• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Almost killed my corn...stupid me

ZCore

I made the little guy a hide out of a paper towel roll and closed off one end of it like I read. Well stupid me just put tape over the end to close it off and to hopefully make him more secure. Well after feeding him he hadn't come out for 2 days so I picked up the tube just to make sure everything was alright and he was stuck to the tape!! So I had to hold the little guy in one hand and pull the tape off him while he looked up at me as if to say "you big dumba** lol But thankfully he seems to be fine now and is acting like usual and shows no sign of harm. So make sure your not as dumb as me and leave exposed tape on a homeade hide.

Ya big dummie!!!

I can almost top that. Yesterday I was changing the water in my fighting fish's vase (he lives in a huge tall vase with some lovely pebbles and plants) and I use a long thin hose to drain the water and then I refill it with fresh water that's been standing in a bucket for a day....I got so caught up with whatever I was doing at the time that I forgot to keep an eye on the level of the water and as far as I can figure, he had no water in the jar for about 30 mins!!!! Because of the pebbles, the hose didn't drain all the wat to the bottom and he jammed himself in between a couple of the stones into the only moisture left in the vase and sat there patiently for me to give him water again. When I realised...I RAN to him and immediately started filling the vase....I was really worried about the fact that I couldn't see him AT ALL and then when there was about a depth of 5cm or so, he wriggled his way out from between the pebbles.....

...OH MY GOD I'M A BAD MUM!!!!

So fishie is fine! Beta Splendens have a special breathing organ called a labrynth organ that allows them to take oxygen from the air. They're the step between regular fish with gills and amphibians (along with lungfish). As long as their skin stays moist, they can go a reeeeeaaaallllly long time out of the water...I still felt aweful though.

So don't worry, we all abuse our poor pets out of love from time to time!

I got my first Beta for Christmas a years ago from a friend at work. At the end of my last day for the holidays, I got ready to take him home. I drove all the way (30 min) with his fancy bowl and plant securely between my legs (trust me...no small feat when you drive a stick), and pulled into my parking lot.
I carefully got out of the car and set the bowl on the roof to gather my purse and other goodies. Now, it gets cold here in the winter and apparently some ice had accumulated on the roof. The nice glass bowl slid off the roof with a whoosh and smashed on the ground.
The poor WHITE Beta was flopping around in the snow. I grabbed him in my hands and RAN up the stairs, leaving the car open and my bag laying in the snow. By the time I got to my door, I was hysterical, and my husband had to get a tupperware bowl for the fish, collect my stuff and make me tea to calm down.
The good news is, fishy survived his horrible winter ordeal, and lived on our kitchen counter for over 2 years before he went to the big fishbowl in the sky.
Good thing our pets are heartier than we think!

Back