• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

ALWAYS trying to escape?

nicali84

It's all he ever seems to do. He's always looking for some sort of way out, he knows the ways out too as he seems to concentrate on these areas more than others.

Is this how they always behave? If so I'm not feeling too good about keeping him locked up! I'm also worried his perserverance will pay off one day! If it does, Mum will kill me!!

You could take it as a game of who can keep each other goals from being achieved - Your goal is to keep it inside the viv. Its goal is to get out of the viv... Let's see who wins! :D

As far as not feeling good about keeping it locked up, well, you don't have other options, so if you cannot live with that feeling, make sure you re-home the snake to someone that is fine w/ confining it.

It depends on the snake... You may also want to check your temps and humidity. If they're off, this may be a reason it wants to get out so bad... what are your temps at right now?

It depends on the snake... You may also want to check your temps and humidity. If they're off, this may be a reason it wants to get out so bad... what are your temps at right now?

Good point... I was assuming ALL the conditions for keeping a cornsnake were adequate.

Too hot temps can definitely cause that. Double check the temps at ground level where the snake actualy is. Monitoring the temp of the air in the viv is pretty pointless.

You could take it as a game of who can keep each other goals from being achieved - Your goal is to keep it inside the viv. Its goal is to get out of the viv... Let's see who wins! :D

Lol!

Yep temps are def ok, 84 on warm side and 75 on cool.

My hatchlings do this around dusk and continue it until morning. I usually have a few water bowls to refill and wet bedding to replace by that time because they have tipped them over in there efforts. I thought maybe it was 'cause they felt cramped, but the two that I am keeping were placed in a MUCH bigger container and they still do the same things around dusk. I'm assuming that is just when they like to move around and they KNOW there is a bigger world out there... Instincts I guess...

Lol!

Yep temps are def ok, 84 on warm side and 75 on cool.
Temps are fine, this is absolutely normal behaviour. You'll probably find he will calm down a bit through the years, mine did, but still has the odd "mad hour".

In the meanwhile just keep checking and double-checking your viv so he can't succeed in getting out!

I've always found it to be normal behavior. In fact, I'd be worried if one of my snakes wasn't trying to get out at least once a night! But that's just me.

Funny, I just moved my corns to bigger housing, and none of them have done that since.
They just LOVE their new place.
I open up the tubs-and they're just hanging out, not springing out, not rubbing their noses on anything, just exploring and becoming familiar with their new condo.

My two snakes like to hide. Mali I don't see out much, occasionally at night she'll come out and nose around for a bit... Nome on the other hand may stick her nose out of the substrate, but that's usually all I see of her between handlings. After being held she usually looks for an escape route or perhaps she's just trying to find a secret place to hide where the ugly human won't come along and touch her delicate, beautiful body. :p

He seems to have stopped doing it now. In actual fact, as soon as he sees me he hides now! He comes out when he thinks I'm not looking!! Bless him! I guess he's getting used to me / his new home.

look corn snakes have no feelings watsoever they're just scared of us because were walking giants.. Your snake will always want a way out the same way a dog always wants to go outside if its cramped in doors for a long time even if it doesnt have to go restroom, basically snakes r just living creatures and they will always want a way out, and im sure they get happy when we get em out every once in a while...

my point is dont get all cooped up on ur snake tryin to escape bcuz if they didnt try to escape dont u think they wouldnt be as interesting to look @?
try to see it that way will ya?:eatpointe

look corn snakes have no feelings watsoever they're just scared of us because were walking giants.. Your snake will always want a way out the same way a dog always wants to go outside if its cramped in doors for a long time even if it doesnt have to go restroom, basically snakes r just living creatures and they will always want a way out, and im sure they get happy when we get em out every once in a while...

my point is dont get all cooped up on ur snake tryin to escape bcuz if they didnt try to escape dont u think they wouldnt be as interesting to look @?
try to see it that way will ya?:eatpointe

I've never owned a snake before so was asking if this was normal behaviour or to see if I was doing something wrong, I didn't want him suffering it was something I was doing.

Most snakes will instinctively try to escape their vivs or feeding tubs their whole lives, so don't worry too much. Hatchlings will also hide or freeze if they spot you or catch your scent! Plenty of cover in the form of hides(loo roll tubes are perfect for babies) and fake plants actually help them feel more secure and explore more. Any piccies of your little one?

Most snakes will instinctively try to escape their vivs or feeding tubs their whole lives, so don't worry too much. Hatchlings will also hide or freeze if they spot you or catch your scent! Plenty of cover in the form of hides(loo roll tubes are perfect for babies) and fake plants actually help them feel more secure and explore more. Any piccies of your little one?

I've got him a hide, a log and a plant which he climbs up and down most of the time. He makes me laugh cos he just sits in it with his head poking out. Here's a couple, although my camera's not very good so they're a bit blurry :(

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Back